Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Tire decision (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/tire-decision-77497/)

Twip 02-25-2013 03:54 PM

Tire decision

alright, i need tires for my personal blazer. 235/75r15. i dont want to lift it or anything so im just going stock. i have narrowed it down between these two tires.
goodyear wrangler. i can get these for $440 a set out the door.
Purchase the Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tire P235/75R15 at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

hankook dynapro ATm. i can get these for $520 a set out the door.
Find the Hankook DynaPro ATm Tire 235/75R15XL at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

im not a fan of the goodyears, they just dont seem to be an all terrain to me. i dont want to write them off because they are cheaper, but im more than willing to pay for a better tire. i plan i driving mountain roads with snow and ice in the winter, and in the summer, dirt and sand out in the desert. so i need a tire that i dont have to change out to do one or the other. i dont see myself being happy with the goodyears because they do have a smaller foot print because of the difference in the two designs. i need help!!

the prices i quoted are out the door after mount, balance and tire disposal, ect. on the hankooks, that price is for the LT tire, and im going with the P tire. im never going to tow anything heavy enough to need the LT.

trobbins 02-25-2013 04:02 PM

i've always had goodyears on mine and i've never needed to complain about them, i've put them threw mud holes, deep snow, and ponds never had a problem with em. but you narrowed it down to two tires that are very good for what your doing to do so good luck on your choice

Diaita 02-25-2013 04:36 PM

+1 for the Hankooks.

Twip 02-25-2013 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by trobbins (Post 569866)
i've always had goodyears on mine and i've never needed to complain about them, i've put them threw mud holes, deep snow, and ponds never had a problem with em. but you narrowed it down to two tires that are very good for what your doing to do so good luck on your choice

right right. so they are good tires non-the-less. that was one thing that i was worried about. hopefully someone chimes in about the hankooks, or just hankooks in general. i have never had a pair, but everything that i have read it seems that they are great tires, but also the same thing with the goodyears. i guess this might just come down to a personal choice. ill have to wait it out to see who says what about what. <-- if that made any sense.

Blazin00LT 02-25-2013 04:48 PM

Here is a MUCH MUCH better choice.

Trust me, I have a set of them on my 04 CC and love them.

Twip 02-25-2013 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blazin00LT (Post 569881)
Here is a MUCH MUCH better choice.

Trust me, I have a set of them on my 04 CC and love them.

CC? as in the Volkswagen CC? why would you put A/T tires on a car? i guess it makes sense if you are going through the snow a lot. so what do you like about these tires? ride? noise? look/feel? my mom has coopers on her chevelle and they ride bi*chin.

Twip 02-25-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Diaita (Post 569872)
+1 for the Hankooks.

what makes you like the Hankooks? ever had a set? i see that you have BFGs right now, which i was thinking about getting, but i heard that they arent allll that fantastic in the snow... what do you think?

4X4GS10B 02-25-2013 08:35 PM

Goodyear Wranglers, bought 3 sets now about to buy another for the wifes 4door. Found them very good all around on and off road..

Blazin00LT 02-25-2013 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twip (Post 569928)
CC? as in the Volkswagen CC? why would you put A/T tires on a car? i guess it makes sense if you are going through the snow a lot. so what do you like about these tires? ride? noise? look/feel? my mom has coopers on her chevelle and they ride bi*chin.

You couldn't pay me to own a VW. My 04 Crew Cab S10. lol They do kick ass in the snow too.

Twip 02-25-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blazin00LT (Post 569951)
You couldn't pay me to own a VW. My 04 Crew Cab S10. lol They do kick ass in the snow too.

lol. i was trying to figure that out... so by CC do you mean current car? thats the only thing that i can figure...
my sister just got rid of her VW. probably the best thing that shes done in a little while.

Blazin00LT 02-26-2013 04:42 AM

No I mean my 2004 s10 CREW CAB. It is even in my sig.

trobbins 02-26-2013 07:29 AM

might as well go with the bfg KO e2 A/T you know those are good, no big deal right lol jk

Twip 02-26-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blazin00LT (Post 570080)
No I mean my 2004 s10 CREW CAB. It is even in my sig.

WOW....i feel like such a noob right now. i didnt even notice it... :icon_hunter::icon_emm:

Twip 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by trobbins (Post 570092)
might as well go with the bfg KO e2 A/T you know those are good, no big deal right lol jk

BF Goodrich All Terrain T-A KO Tires BFGoodrich Tires ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO LT235/75R15 104S RWL
yeah, these. i was seriously thinking about them. my boss runs a set on his ford 4 door long box powerstroke and he gets about 60k out of them. ive got a buddy who runs them on his chevy 4 door long box diesel and he really likes them, plus he runs them on his off road truck.
i know that they are great tires, but i think that they have gotten so popular in the off road racing scene that BFG is just charging an arm and leg for them because everyone wants them. the whole supply and demand thing. they have the supply, but if they hold it back in a "we are running low in that size tire" they can get a few more dollars out of everyone.
there is a guy i work with once in a while and he has a chevy 4 door long box duramax with an air compressor, like for changing semi truck tires and stuff, and a Lincoln welder and a huge tool box full of stuff and he loves his BFGs. but he said that they blow on the snow.

trobbins 02-26-2013 10:03 AM

theres also krawler T/A kx, mud terrain km/km2, falken wild peak, falken rocky moutain ats, hankoon dynapro atm rf10, there's also kumho or general but not a huge fan of those so hope that will help

Twip 02-26-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by trobbins (Post 570115)
theres also krawler T/A kx, mud terrain km/km2, falken wild peak, falken rocky moutain ats, hankoon dynapro atm rf10, there's also kumho or general but not a huge fan of those so hope that will help

those are the hankooks that i am thinking about getting. do you happen have ever run those or know someone that has? i dont want mud terrains, i do far too much highway driving for them and when i go off roading, its pretty much dirt and sand. the desert is pretty dry around here. lol. and then the snowy hills and mountain driving. im thinking that i am going to end up with the hankooks.

trobbins 02-26-2013 12:14 PM

yeah i got a buddy that has them on a dodge 3500 on a 6" lift and they ride really well dont hawl all that much more than A/T and they grip on everything really well snow mud, he's had 5 sets of tires and thats all he runs are hankooks

Twip 02-26-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by trobbins (Post 570141)
yeah i got a buddy that has them on a dodge 3500 on a 6" lift and they ride really well dont hawl all that much more than A/T and they grip on everything really well snow mud, he's had 5 sets of tires and thats all he runs are hankooks

well thats re-assuring. too bad my tire guy said that he doesnt know when he is going to get them in stock. his warehouse said that they had 4 of them, but now they cant find any. they called Hankook and they said that they didnt have an ETA on a set.... heartbreaking....

trobbins 02-26-2013 10:05 PM

wow thats dissapointing how much are they gonna run you

Twip 02-26-2013 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by trobbins (Post 570321)
wow thats dissapointing how much are they gonna run you

520 out the door.

95BlackGA 03-07-2013 03:43 PM

If you want to shell out the money, I'd also suggest the BFG ATs. I have a set of 33's on my '79 K10. Even with the tread depth and 1/4th what they were original, I still have no problem getting in or out of mud, snow and they ride very well on the pavement. After 10 years on my truck (not driven much, and it sat for 3) they finally need replaced due to dry rot. Even had part of the tread rip off the tire at 70mph, and it still drove at 55mph for over 15 miles.

owneroperator 03-16-2013 03:45 PM

Stick with the Goodyears. I bought my 2000 LT in 2002 at 55,000 miles with those tires on it. Since it was used, I can't say with all certainty that those tires were the originals, but I do know that because of the service ID code in the glove box (Z85) the vehicle was shipped with that particular tire. I replaced them at 70,000 miles with the same exact tire and now have 125,000 miles on it. I would probably be able to get a total of 60,000 miles out of them if I really wanted to. So was the previous set original with 70,000 miles? I didn't think so at the time but the longer I have my current set, the more I believe it was possible. I haven't 4-wheeled with them, but they've worked great in the rain. Also, they're quiet and wear evenly (rotated every 4000 miles). Another poster mentioned something about LT-rated vs. P-rated. In my experience, an LT-rated tire will have more tread and a more square shoulder than the same P-rated tire. Aren't the non Goodyears you're considering from China? That alone is enough to make me run to the Goodyears!

Twip 03-19-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by owneroperator (Post 573538)
I haven't 4-wheeled with them, but they've worked great in the rain. Also, they're quiet and wear evenly (rotated every 4000 miles). Another poster mentioned something about LT-rated vs. P-rated. In my experience, an LT-rated tire will have more tread and a more square shoulder than the same P-rated tire. Aren't the non Goodyears you're considering from China? That alone is enough to make me run to the Goodyears!

yeah, im going to go with the Hankooks, even though they are from Korea. and i know what you are saying about the LT and P tires. i am going with P rated because i dont see spending the extra money on the LT tires when im not going to be utilizing them. i rarely tow anything and mostly its just me and the lady in it anyways. and the tires from Hankook are built the same from LT to P rated. its just that the layers in the sidewall are thinner than the LT tires but still the same number of layers. if that makes sense. im going to give them a shot and see whats what. last time i bought goodyears, i totaled my truck 8 days later. i know it wasnt the tires fault.... but yeah. just one of those things i guess.

El_Beautor 03-19-2013 06:24 PM

Of the two you're considering I'd go with the Hankooks. My uncle is a tire wholesaler in Utah, and his number one tire is Cooper, followed very closely by Hankook. The Hankook AT-10 was my #2 choice for my Durango after the Cooper Zeon LTZ. My uncle said that of the thousands of Hankook tires he sells each year he only sees maybe a dozen come back for warranty issues, and most of those could probably be attributed to user error. He has those exact tires on his Dodge Ram and loves them.

The Goodyears are supposed to be a great tire, and I've never personally run the Goodyears but I don't like the tread as much. For me the Hankooks look the part for what I would want on my Blazer.

Diaita 03-19-2013 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twip (Post 569931)
what makes you like the Hankooks? ever had a set? i see that you have BFGs right now, which i was thinking about getting, but i heard that they arent allll that fantastic in the snow... what do you think?

Sorry, just noticed your question. :icon_slap2:

My KM2s are excellent in deep snow, not so good on a plowed road. Great all around tire.

I had a set of Hankook 31x10.5x15 on my Jeep when I bought it. I was happy with them for gravel and light snow. In mud they weren't all that great. They lasted a long time too, they were on the Jeep for a couple years of abuse, then I upgraded and the guy I gave them to used them for several years.

I thought the Hankooks looked better for all around traction than the G/Ys too.

Twip 03-19-2013 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor (Post 574248)
Of the two you're considering I'd go with the Hankooks. ...and his number one tire is Cooper, followed very closely by Hankook.

The Goodyears are supposed to be a great tire, and I've never personally run the Goodyears but I don't like the tread as much. For me the Hankooks look the part for what I would want on my Blazer.

the tread thing is right where i am at. i just noticed that someone around the corner from me has the ones that i want and i think that i am going to go and talk to him about them. although his driver side front was cupped which i could see from my car as i drove by....thinking that he should have rotated them a little more often than he did. anyway, i feel the same as you did. they just look like i would like them better.

Originally Posted by Diaita (Post 574254)
Sorry, just noticed your question. :icon_slap2:

They lasted a long time too, they were on the Jeep for a couple years of abuse, then I upgraded and the guy I gave them to used them for several years.

I thought the Hankooks looked better for all around traction than the G/Ys too.

right on. that was the other thing that i was worried about was longevity. i think that when i get them i should be happy with them. but only time will tell.

thanks for responses guys. the input makes me feel better about my choice. now if only my tire guy can get them so i get them on. i have some trips coming up and i would really like to have some new rubber and fresh alignment before then.

owneroperator 03-20-2013 01:00 PM

I used to run Cooper Discoverer Radial LT's on my '88 S-10 Blazer (which is when I was educated on the LT vs. P rating differences). Not the longest running tire, I admit, but for the money you couldn't go wrong. Again, quiet, even wearing and very good traction. And I understand what someone mentioned about the tire giving them the look they wanted. They gave my Blazer a very capable look. I wish Cooper hadn't discontinued them.

millenniumfalcon 09-13-2013 12:51 AM

Go for the Hankooks

You won't be sorry. I'm new to this forum, but did extensive research on them when I had my 02 Trailblazer. Ended up installing a set of 255/70-17 ATM RF10s and would (and will) buy them again. Good look, great traction, very quiet compared to the stock Rugged Trails that were on it when I bought it. I can't say that I've ever had any of the other tires in question, but another consideration depending on the price you can find is Yokohama. I have AT/S Yoko's on my K2500, and have used them before on a Baja. Not quite the traction of the Hankook, but overall a better street tire. If you are mostly on-road, they would be a respectable choice also.

millenniumfalcon 09-13-2013 12:55 AM

Doh!

Juuuuuuuust realized my first post was towards a dead thread... but there's a friggin' lightsaber smilie available! Discovering that was worth it. :icon_starwars: