Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Tire question.

So, I have a problem with my BFG's.... they still perform great but the very defined edge of the tire, like the shoulder lugs used to be pretty squared off. It contributed to the rugged look. However the corners of the tires are wearing down and rounding off. I believe the tire place told me its called scalping? Anyways, what would cause this, I checked my ball joints and they are still tight. Maybe its just where I live around the appalachian foothills and drive curvy roads everyday? I cant figure it out, but I did notice that my silverado's tires have the same thing happening to them, as do my dads tires. Its hard to describe... but the shoulders are rounding off... what causes this?

Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: Tire question.

*BUMP* anyone?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point

driving back roads or curvy roads mine do the same thing. it sucks but ive learned to deal with it. my dad says it from drving to fast on them but his do it too. so i dont think that it.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Don't fly around corners and you'll be fine... lol.

Just the simple physics of it... If you had 18" rims and the low pro version of the tire, you wouldn't really notice/have the problem... or at least nowhere near as bad...

Higher profile tires tend to fold a little when cornering...

Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the condition you are refering to is cupping Aaron. High speed corneringwill definitely contribute to it, but you probably have a front suspension allignment problem. The biggest cause of this is actually lack of rotation. I just got my All-terrains, (LT245/70/16) and can't wait to mount them up....tomorrow I hope!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Well, if it's only on the outside of the tire... and more on one side than the other... lol, I had that problem on my S-10...

Heck, I managed to rub off some of the "BF Goodrich" on those... lol

Old 07-05-2007, 09:55 PM

well, lastcoupe, i thought of the lack of rotation thing, but they are rotated every 5-6,000 miles.... maybe I should rotate every oil change? How often do you rotate? I dont know... its not that bad, just aggervating. I'm actually the only person that has noticed, I'd take a picture but the damage is so little that you can't see it in a picture..lol

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 AM
BF Veteran

From what I've read on the 'net every oil change, or 5000 miles at the latest, for rotating the BFG All-Terrain tires... People have gotten 70,000 + and in a fair number of instances over 100k... According to interweb reading, lol