Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels and tires question

Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
kankoon52 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wheels and tires question

hey everyone i was planning on getting some plain black steel wheels soon and the ones i want have 4.5 backspacing. now i was wondering how these would look with say some 31" tall and 10.5" wide tires? do you think they would stick out of the wheel well to far? should i go with some 30" tall and 9.5" wide tiores instead? i really want 31" tall tires but i cant find any in a smaller width. and i dont want my tires to be way outside my fenders. thanks for the help guys

Old 09-03-2007, 09:43 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: wheels and tires question

If it is a gen 2 4x4 those with 31's are gonna cause all sorts of rubbing problems.... actually they will probably rub the fenders with 30" tires at stock height .....

but we need to know more info about your truck like year model, 2wd or 4wd etc...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 PM

sorry about that its a 2001 2 doore 4x4. i cranked the tbars about 1.5" and plan to get 1.5" or 2" shackles for the rear

Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not positive what the BS is on my rims since I bought them used, but I was told they look to have about 4" of BS. With that being said I have 31"x10.5" tires 2" body lift and 1.5" shackles/ T-bars cranked and Istill rub a little. When I had them on with just the 2" bl I rubbed a lot.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

andyou rub on the back of the front fender.

Stock wheels have 6" of backspacing, this keeps the tire within the wheel well. Going to 4" of backspacing pushes the tire 2" out of the fender well and into the wheel well. Park the truck, crank the tires half way, climb out and measure how much space you got between teh tire and fender. Imagine moving the tire out 2" more, and making it bigger. It will become real apperant where you WILL rub.
For a street queen, its not a big deal unless the sound of rubber getting chewed up by sheet metal bothers you or oyur girlfirend.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Hanr3

and you rub on the back of the front fender.
Yup

Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM

so would you guys suggest getting a 2" body lift with the shackles and getting 31"/10.50" tires? or just get the 1.5" shackles and go with 30"/9.50"? is the extra inch of height and width worth it?

Old 09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem is the wheels you want. Specifically the backspacing. Stock wheels hae 6" of backspacing.
With a stock wheel you can fit 30" tires with no modifications.
With a stock wheel and 2" body lift you can fit 31" tires with no other modifications.

When you change the backpsacing you are pushing the tire into the fender. I had 2wdr (4" backpsacing wheels) on my 87' and the stock 29" tires rubbed the back of the fender. Rubber so much they finally took the bolts out of the splash guard. Changing the backpsacing is a huge deal on these trucks.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:15 PM

well anyone know where i can get some black steel wheels in a 6" back space? best i can find is 4.5"