Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wide off-road tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
jcheil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wide off-road tires

Ok, I am sure this has been asked a few times, but I have searched the forums and not got a complete answer so maybe someone can chime in.

I have an 89 S10 4x4, 43. that I use exclusively off-road in the sand and the swamp.
I want to put bigger tires on it. Most importantly WIDE tires (because of the sugar sand) but a couple inches taller would be nice too.

I do not have a problem adding a small lift kit (if needed) or even getting out the sawzall -- remember, this thing stays in the woods; I can look like hell -- just has to be able to GET through hell

I am guessing I will need new rims with a differnet offset as well.
What has anyone done along these lines?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wide off-road tires

Find ya some 33x12.5r15s to start and get a set 15x8 rims with 3.75 back spacing. Get ya a body lift, crank up the torsion bars, and either make or buy some shackles for the rear. Trim the fenders to where they dont rub anymore and you should be set. This will pretty much exactly what you are looking for on the cheap and best of all you can beat it up and it will take it for the most part. Just maybe put some grease in it every so often and it will be pretty much trouble free while ya flogg it.

Now if this isnt big enough for ya then go find ya a set of jeep axles, do a spring over axle conversion with the new axle in the rear and in the front build ya some mounts for leafs in the front to hold the other new axle (and of course do all the linkages and whatnot) and you should be even taller to get ya some even bigger and wider tires to make sure ya never get stuck.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:14 AM
jcheil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wide off-road tires

Do you have a link for the procedure on cranking up the tortion bars? I am not familiar with that procedure.
Also, if I didn't want to mess with a body lift, do you think 31x12.5x15 would fit with just some trimming?

Thanks.