Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Wider wheels? Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:08 PM
dustinhxc is on a distinguished road
Default Wider wheels? Spacers?

Hey so here is my current setup. Im looking at Hubcentric 2.5" for rear and 1" for front spacers from cjbargains on ebay. OR should I get some wider wheels that would give me that same stance? Are stock wheels 7.50" or just the tires? So if so im assuming id need 10" wheels for rear and 8.50" for front if thats right lol sorry I dont know too much about wheels and tires but im learning!

99 Jimmy BFG All Terrain T/A 30/9.5"r15.

Last edited by dustinhxc; 06-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Stock wheels are 7" wide with 6" backspacing. It's the backspacing that determines how far they will stick out.

What you want to do relies on how much you like the look of these wheels and how much you want to spend. Cheapes option would be to run the spacers. Unless you can find the same wheel with different backspacings, you'd have to run spacers in the back anyway if you want them to be even front to back.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The wheels and tires will be the same width front and back. Most people go with a 15x8" wheel. Backspacing is personal choice but can cause rubbing issues. I'm not super familiar with rubbing issues with a 30" tire like you have but I'm sure someone will help me out. I have the Procomp rockcrawler wheels in 15x8 with 4.5" bs. There aren't a ton of choices for us as far as wheels but I know alot of people use Summit.com to get their wheels. Just find something in a 5x4.475 and go from there. I personally think the best place to get the best deal on almost anything is craigslist tho. I paid $200 for my wheels and tires and drove on them for 7months before replacing the tires with the ones I have now which were also a craigslist find at $200 for the set.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by rexmburns
The wheels and tires will be the same width front and back. Most people go with a 15x8" wheel. Backspacing is personal choice but can cause rubbing issues. I'm not super familiar with rubbing issues with a 30" tire like you have but I'm sure someone will help me out. I have the Procomp rockcrawler wheels in 15x8 with 4.5" bs. There aren't a ton of choices for us as far as wheels but I know alot of people use Summit.com to get their wheels. Just find something in a 5x4.475 and go from there. I personally think the best place to get the best deal on almost anything is craigslist tho. I paid $200 for my wheels and tires and drove on them for 7months before replacing the tires with the ones I have now which were also a craigslist find at $200 for the set.
Damn thanks! SummitRacing.com has a TON of wheels at 15x8 5x4.475 like these Cragar for only $55!!!!!

These are all so cheap I want to get some right now.. Do yall think 15x8 with 4.5"-5" backspacing would be good for my 30/9.50"r15 tires?

Now to decide black or chrome... i always wanted black but my silver lining is attatched to my side panels so maybe ill get chrome /silver to match that..

what do yall think of these?

Those are 1 month backorder so maybe ill do black like you man!

you think theyd fit my tires ok?

The photo is obviously not our lug pattern but same wheel.

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-25-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond and wait for a response. Rules are rules.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks mod! sorry I made multiple posts!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

In my opinion, it's a bad idea to run different width wheels front and rear on a 4x4 vehicle. Even if you have the same size tire on all 4 you could run into problems with tire wear and added strain on the drive train while in 4x4.

If you're trying to even out the axle width between the front and rear, then hub-centric spacers on the rear with 4 new identical rims would be my first choice in your situation.

If you want to keep your factory rims, then what you suggested with 2.5" spacers on the rear and 1.25" spacers on the front would probably be the cheaper solution. Just make sure you torque the lug nuts correctly, as well as pulling the tires off and checking the torque on the lugs on the spacers after driving for a week or two.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
In my opinion, it's a bad idea to run different width wheels front and rear on a 4x4 vehicle. Even if you have the same size tire on all 4 you could run into problems with tire wear and added strain on the drive train while in 4x4.

If you're trying to even out the axle width between the front and rear, then hub-centric spacers on the rear with 4 new identical rims would be my first choice in your situation.

If you want to keep your factory rims, then what you suggested with 2.5" spacers on the rear and 1.25" spacers on the front would probably be the cheaper solution. Just make sure you torque the lug nuts correctly, as well as pulling the tires off and checking the torque on the lugs on the spacers after driving for a week or two.

Thank You.

Im thinking 4 new wheels for the look. Same size. Then maybe 1.5" in rear only? Here is a quick photoshop of those wheels.

Argh each wheel i look at has 1 in stock.

Last edited by dustinhxc; 05-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

1.5" rear spacers would even it out with the front. If you stay with your 30" tires you probably won't have rubbing issues on the front fenders with a 4.5" backspace rim.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
1.5" rear spacers would even it out with the front. If you stay with your 30" tires you probably won't have rubbing issues on the front fenders with a 4.5" backspace rim.
Perfect I think Ill get these then. They can get 3 more by the 30th so I could have them on in a week I guess.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

you should be fine with the 1.5 and 30's
i run 1.5 spacers with camaro wheels (4.5 backspacing) with 33's
only rubbing i ever have is from hitting bumps too hard

Quick Reply: Wider wheels? Spacers?