Website Problems and Suggestions Need help using the website? Ask here. Have a suggestion to make us better? Tell us here.

SUGGESTION: Chat box

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Exclamation SUGGESTION: Chat box

I'm currently members on a few V-bulletin powered forums and they all have chatboxes.

I'm wondering how many flaming hoops the staff would have to jump through to get one? It'd be nice just to shoot the bull with fellow members. Lounge thread's are great, but for just the "Hey what's up man?" type questions, a chatbox would be best IMO.

I still find this to be the friendliest community that I'm part of and think this would be a hit among said community members.

Last edited by oktain; 07-13-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

I had one on an old forum. The biggest issue is it's too difficult to moderate. then again, ours was sort of wild, haha.
I guess it could work here, but you never know what slip up will occur, and you can't edit what you said, either.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think so.
We used to have a live chat room (sounds like a $.99 a minute phone number), but it died out due to lack of interest.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

well if we have the same "profanity" rules as posts, and only make the box visible to members that may help alleviate some moderation?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I think the idea is good! No tech Q's, just chat!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I believe this was suggested before... but To be honest.... I think if you made like a post limit on the chat... maybe like 100 posts before chat... you would keep the trolls out

Old 07-14-2010, 01:23 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ that could work.

as for "following the rules of conduct........." wouldn't there be an active thread/trace of what was said? so if a member was on there allways mouthing off/cursing, they could be warned & such?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:13 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
^^^ that could work.

as for "following the rules of conduct........." wouldn't there be an active thread/trace of what was said? so if a member was on there allways mouthing off/cursing, they could be warned & such?
I dont think its as much about warning them as if some member came in and spouted off some **** that would get the forum shut down.... just for being there... or just excesssive spamming as well...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 AM
BF Veteran

We recently got a chatbox over on the GMfullsizeforum.com and there really hasn't been an issue. Most seem to follow guidelines of the forum and stay within the rules. It's been there for a couple of weeks now and I got to thinking since it was working fine w/o a hitch over there... why can't it here?

Anything "profane" always shows up with ****in stars anyway (lol) on this forum, unlike said other forums which also have looser moderation IMO.

I think if someone was really being a troll or just spamming in the chatbox (which got labelled the fapbox elsewhere lol) could be left up to the more upstanding and regular members around here (You know who you guys/girls are...) to report to the admin/moderators with a quotation of what was said. I know I've sent Kyle and others emails before with the "Look at this thread... or look at this post" messages. I just find it to be the right thing to do.

with the 100 post limit, although keeping some new members out of the box that may want in to talk... it'll also block out tech questions from noobs and most likely trolls coming just to pronounce their hatred for Blazers and all things General Motors. It would also keep the spam down, because I've never seen a spam account get more than 2-3 posts before being deleted by our fearless leaders.

With the regulars being in the chat also, we could easily keep others on the straight and narrow, I know I would.

Is a "trial" period possible? Just to see how it goes for a bit and then decide whether to keep it or scrap it...

Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

id participate in a chat box, not regularly but i would....

or even a "shout box"? that would even be cool since we all hit the forums at different times....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SUGGESTION: Chat box