1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Fuse Always Blown

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 01:40 AM
oldsmobuick420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Fuse Always Blown

Hey guys, I just bought a 91 oldsmobile bravada yesterday. I got a good deal on it because the owner could not figure out why it kept blowing his fuel pump fuse under the dash. It has blown about three times since I purchased it yesterday. The owners manual requires a 10 amp fuse and I tried to bump it up to a 20 amp but it still blows. Before he sold it the previous owner had a new fuel pump and fuel filters installed. Is this a normal issue with bravadas? Am I in the right forum, I assume I am because everything looks like a blazer. Please help, i have no idea, could it possibly be a worn wire harness?[b]

Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Default RE: Fuel Pump Fuse Always Blown

Hey all you gearheads, I would really appreciate a response, I really need some help, I realize I am new but we treat new people with respect and quick responses on other forums. Maybe its the fact that I just purchased the Bravada, or is it the fact that it is a Bravada and not a "Blazer"? Lost................[X(]

Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Damn man, you posted at 11PM and again at 4AM, calm down and wait a little bit. You may be used to higher traffic forums, which this is not.

Anyway, it is a blazer, plain and simple, just in an olds package.

If you are blowing the fuses, you should really look at the wiring for the fuel pump. I don't have access to wiring diagrams for your '91 so I can't help in that respect. It is either the fuel pump or the wiring. If the fuel pump has been replaced, that leaves only the wiring. It is possible that when the owner put the new pump in (which requires dropping the tank), that he pinched the wires, grounding them out. Does it blow the fuse immediately after key on?

Wiring faults are a pain in the butt to track down. You pretty much have to start at one end and disassemble the harness all the way to the other end. Without a wiring diagram, your best bet would be to start at the pump and work back up into the engine bay, but you could start from the fuse and work back to the relay and then back to the fuel pump. You may have to drop the tank inorder to find the problem. You could also check the relay by switching it out with another one and see if you still blow the fuse. Also, inspect all of the connectors (at the fuse, relay and pump) for corrosion.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and to answer another of your questions, I do not believe that this is a common problem.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Thanks a million! Sorry I just assumed it had more traffic, if I drive the thing for a day it might blow one time, always while driving. I might look into changing the relays this afternoon to see if that helps eliminate the problem. The problem occured before the previous owner dropped the tank, so I think I will just work my way from the front of the back. is that the only other thing on the relay, the two relay switches? Thanks a million