1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Tail gate issues. Loose lock, Loose cable.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Tail gate issues. Loose lock, Loose cable.

So I decided to fix one of the many pieces to the truck. The back tail gate. Somebody did a job removing the back lock. not only on the tailgate metal were the lock goes but also the latch. So I got another latch from the junk yard. and a new lock. I removed the old latch and proceeded the best I could to re-round the whole that was bent out of shape with a screw driver over something. I put the latch and lock on. The gate open / closes and the glass is nice and tight. But I have two issues. First of all there was no shims or seals that came with the tail gate lock. That is okay I have a extra lock thingy to use. But the lock is loose. I redid the whole again it is better. But if I really start moving the lock around. The lock on the inside the tail gate falls off. Problem number two is when I push the button in to power open the glass. The cable pulls but does not pull enough to trip the tail gate latch. Not sure what do do with with the slack. I assume this is just worn out. Any ideas how to fix these two problems.

I really enjoyed working on this. Can't wait to clean the whole critter up and polish it. I have 4 more doors to dig into.

Josh

Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

for the slack if you can get at it easily is just use a wire crimp. something you can smash on the wire. ive used zip ties on my hood latch before cause i was having the same problem.

also you say the lock falls off? are you talking about the bar? had that issue in my 93. but i just tack welded the end of it and hope i never have problems with it

Old 04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default the lock itself

The lock itself since the hole is not round anymore. The lock part that says tailgate/glass.

Not sure what you are saying on the cable. It has a pressed fitting on the end that goes to the tailgate latch. I also re-read my question. It triggers the glass open. I was thinking of undoing the cable. Then tying a few not or something in it. I can see the actuator and the cable goes around what looks like a pulley. That locks fine. So figured maybe somebody would chime in and say oh yea if you pull the actuator out. You can take up the slack there. But I would have no idea how to re-route it around that pulley I can't get too. When I have more time. I'll have to get back to it again.

Josh