Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

tail gate window mechanisim

Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 AM
HYPA is on a distinguished road
Smile tail gate window mechanisim

hey guys wassup im new here so forgive me if i am bringing up a topic already posted.

But here it is I have a 1988 k5 and the rear window is frozen in the up position i have removed the motor and the window will not go down .

I need to get this window working because i cant lower the tail gate untill it goes down, first i thought the motor was bad so i changed that but the new motor wont even turn the cable , also the key from the out side dosnt engage the window motor at all.

Any help would sure be nice !!!

thanks guys

HYPA

Old 08-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try hooking a drill up to the cable that attaches to the power window motor. Use the drill to drive the cable and lower the motor. That should do it for you!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM

ok will do swart thanks if that dosnt work do you think it might be the gear drive that turns the gears?.....Do those things go bad?
also any ideas why the key dosnt engage the motor? i seem to have all the wires hooked up but since im not able to lower the window and open the tailgate i havnt been able to squueze my large slender fat *** in the back of the blazer (lol) once i get it going up and down then ill be able to work on the tailgate when its open.
keep in touch and ill post picts once iget settled in the forum

Also on a side note can you put r134a coolant in a r12 system after you vacume the lines? Im gonna change out the compressor and the syatem is fully charged but the compressor is shot, i was thinking since the r12 isnt available can i use r134a?

Even with all these problems I love this beast its my baby cant handle when things dont work right!!!!....lol

Thanks
HYPA

Last edited by HYPA; 08-09-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is quite a bit to swapping from R12 to R134a. But there are alternatives to R12 out there that are supposed to be able to be used in those systems without retrofit. Freeze12 is one that I seem to remember.

Let us know how your window turns out!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM

SWART!!!! great job on that drill idea got the window working fine now also had another ? i blewwwwwwwww and i mean blewwwwwww my heater core so bad that water ended up splatering the fiberglass top LOL anyway i have done numerous replacements and didnt wanna go through the hell that is invoved with it.

I noticed that the water line going into the manifold right behind the throttle body is a high pressure crimped hose......All my other vehicals including chevies always had a regular rubber hose and clamp.

I dont need hot air since living in hawaii so im gonna bypass the sytem and plug the manifold and rubber cap the radiator, you see any probs with this? was woundering cuz i cant seee why the stock hose was designed liked that

Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Glad it worked!

I would actually loop the lines together at the firewall. That way you still get the circulation, just not through your busted heater core.