2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

problem blazer wipers, gas guage, and heater motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 AM
2003blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default problem blazer wipers, gas guage, and heater motor

I have a 2003 blazer that has just been giving me problems.

1. the front wipers don't work right. When you put them in the delay mode they don't work right away. if you have them in the low mode and turn them off they make 3 or 4 more sweeps before stopping.

2. The gas hand is on empty and the gas light is on all the time even when Full

3. The heater fan does not work, when you turn the fan button from 1 to 4 the fan does not work in any setting.

This all happened in the last week in the order listed anyone know what could cause all of this to go wrong in a week?

Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: problem blazer wipers, gas guage, and heater motor

On the wipers, I'd have to say it sounds like a multifunction switch (the whole turnsignal stalk), but I wouldn't rule out faulty solders on the wiper motor circuit board. If you are a handy man, all of these replairs are cake for a DIY'er. The circuit board in the wiper motor just requires a soldering pencil and some time. Just disconnect the wiring connector and remove the front cover off of the wiper motor. The circuit board should just pull out from there. Re-solder where all of the pins from the external connector solder to the main board.

I would try that first on the wiper issue. The multifunction switch is removed by pulling the upper and lower covers off of the steering column, unpluggin the connections, and unbolting the switch. Simple as that.

Well, this could either be a faulty connection on the plug at the fuel pump, or a faulty fuel level sending unit. I have seen references that suggest a sending unit should be available separate from the fuel pump assembly, but never have read that anyone has been able to obtain one. The fuel pump assembly is costly ($200+). I'm not sure if you can check the connections on the fuel pump without dropping the tank, but I'm sure that someone else will know.

This is either a problem with the control head, a problem with the wiring and/or connections, or an all out blower motor failure. The main connector for the blower motor should be up on the firewall on the passenger side. Once the sun comes up, I'll see about snapping a picture of it from my Bravada (same thing as your '03 Blazer). I would check for voltage at the plug and go from there. If you have proper voltage, then its got to be the motor. If not, then you have to dig back to the controller.

Good Luck

Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

#2 Gonna have to drop the tank to test the wires. Altough that isn't needed, 100 to 1 its your fuel pressure sending unit. Unfortunately it is part of the fuel pump assembly on the newer trucks. Last I checked $260+.

#3 The fan has two circuits. One for high speed and one for the rest of the fan settings. Since you said it doesn't work in any setting other then low (1st setting) I suspect either the switch or the blower motor needs replaceing. Carefull pulling the switch out. Don't force it, wiggle it around and it will come out. Replaceing the switch will be the easiest and good luck getting the little ***** off the old switch and on the new switch. Unless they come with the ***** in place now.
Fortunately the fan motor can be accessed from the engine compartment. Get a Chilton/Haynes manual, should cover the steps pretty well. Post up if you have questions, and post up what the solution was.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

One other possibility as strange as its going to sound. Faulty positive battery connection, low battery, or failing alternator. Most of the electronics in the truck are touchy to volts and amps. If your having a problem with your charging system it can and will create all sorts of electrical gremlins. I HIGHLY recommend you get your alternator and battery tested. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery post, right after you disable any security systems on the truck, then disconnect the positive battery cable. AC Delcos about 4 years old have a tendancy to corrode inside the battery on teh positive post. It is impossible to detect without removing the battery cable. I have litteraly had the whole post fall out while trying to loosen the bolt. Carefull, battery acid WILL eat holes in your clothes, paint and a whole host of other things, like flesh and eye *****. Plus the fumes are extremely flammable, so no smoking any where near the truck.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
2003blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info

1. Still working on the wiper problem. Changed circuit board and the switch on the steering column with no results.

2. Gas hand is fixed (wiring problem) had to reroute the wiring around the transfer case it had shorted out on the transfer case

3. Heater fan is fixed. Had to put in new fan motor

Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 AM
BF Veteran

good job.

How did you find the short in the gas gauge wiring?