2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Shaking under acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mark every joint. Mark the alignment to the tail housing on the trans/transfer case, mark the alignment of the front u-joint, and mark the alignment of the rear u-joint to the pinion yoke - AND - don't move it (the truck)! That will ensure that everything gets put back together properly.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Starting Member
Horsepower is on a distinguished road

The drive shafts can be installed rotated almost any degree but I'd mark them and try to re-install them the way they came out. You should be able to get them back in the way they came out if you don't start the engine or rotate the rear tires. It is thought that sometimes the factory balances some assemblies together so I always mark and try to re-install driveshafts the way they came out to prevent any vibrations. If you get them back in rotated though most likely will not have any vibrations or problems though.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

So I did the U-Joints today...

First off let me say if anyone wants to do this, invest in the u-joint pulling/installing tool. Princess auto was out (harbour freight type store for the yanks), and crappy tire employees had no clue what I was talking about!

Anyways, took alot of vice crunching and wailing on them with a mallet but I got them out. One of the rear bearings on the u-joint was completely seized. It was at the point that it was eating away at the shaft inside it. It was rusty and dry so out she went. I did both of them on the rear axle... Why not? I had it out anyways.

So I am pleased to say that it does not shake at all now. It was the damn u-joint all along.

Now I have to change the muffler on it... I may just put a new exhaust front to back on it. Just because it would give me something to do! LOL

Old 05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the followup! Glad you got it all fixed up!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Starting Member
jusp69 is on a distinguished road

FINALLY! Someone who actually updates us after the problem is resolved!