2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'95 Cooling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Starting Member
klote82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '95 Cooling Problems

I used the search function and it came up with endless results but i wanted to make my own post.

Alrighty, I recently had my a/c repaired and I had a new compressor installed with a new inline filter. The radiator was flushed and new coolant was added. The problem is when im sitting in traffic or stopping frequently my truck quickly goes up to 210 degrees. If it goes slightly past (213-215degrees) then my a/c stops blowing cold air and if I dont turn off the a/c then it'll overheat and Ill have coolant pouring out. My fan works properly and I just installed a new 185 degree thermostat. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Im missing the lower portion of the fan shroud, how much difference would this make? do you guys think im losing alot of air? When the engine was cool I checked the coolant in the radiator and I noticed that it wasnt very clean and there were rust flakes floating around. Should I get it flushed again or go a step further?

The log book for the truck shows that the a/c compressor was replaced in 2004, the radiator/cap was replaced in early 2004. what do yall think??

Old 09-01-2009, 03:33 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

the fan shroud is needed to properly pull air through the radiator, I would flush the complete system and add new antifreeze.I have seen many of these blazers run at 210 degrees..Its possible you have a weak clutch fan but with all that rust in the system i would flush it all out first and replace the thermostat again.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get that lower fan shroud replaced. It is needed to properly direct air through the radiator instead of just pulling from under the truck. Also, clean the exterior of the radiator and condenser. But it definitely sounds like the fan shroud is causing your issues.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Starting Member

aight, im getting the lower shroud in a few days. honestly i doubt thatll take care of it. i can start the truck and let it idle and it will overhead and shut off. Im going to flush the rad. and get a heavy duty clutch fan.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by klote82
I used the search function and it came up with endless results but i wanted to make my own post.

Alrighty, I recently had my a/c repaired and I had a new compressor installed with a new inline filter. The radiator was flushed and new coolant was added. The problem is when im sitting in traffic or stopping frequently my truck quickly goes up to 210 degrees. If it goes slightly past (213-215degrees) then my a/c stops blowing cold air and if I dont turn off the a/c then it'll overheat and Ill have coolant pouring out. My fan works properly and I just installed a new 185 degree thermostat. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Im missing the lower portion of the fan shroud, how much difference would this make? do you guys think im losing alot of air? When the engine was cool I checked the coolant in the radiator and I noticed that it wasnt very clean and there were rust flakes floating around. Should I get it flushed again or go a step further?

The log book for the truck shows that the a/c compressor was replaced in 2004, the radiator/cap was replaced in early 2004. what do yall think??
Update: I replaced the thermostat and i added the lower fan shroud. Ironically its alot cooler today in the bay area, but ill keep any eye on the temps and see how it acts.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
my97fourXfour is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but I'm overheating as well and figured I could just piggy back on here. I'm a n00b as far as mechanics.
I've been searching here all morning and have found a few ideas. I've seen that steam comes from the rad to the reservoir, causing it to bubble up, which is happening in this case. I've read that changing the thermostat and the rad cap would probably fix it. What's the ECT do, and where is it? It's not leaking like it was, so I know the water pump is good, but it doesn't seem like the coolant is getting to the engine. It also seems like its kinda burping going from the upper rad hose to the thermostat. Does that mean the thermostat's dead? Is there anything physical on it that would suggest so? Can I just take it out for a bit and run it up to see if it still overheats?
Thanks, Dave

Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Starting Member

have you had the radiator flushed? might be something that needs to be done. i dont know about the rad to resvoir bubbling..