Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Bad Idle/ Cooling Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bad Idle/ Cooling Problems?

Well my check engine light came on the other day so I went to autozone to see what it was and I forgot exactly the code number was but it said the coolant temp was too low.(Which beats all I ever seen, cause the guage says it's running normal, just a little bit below 210 when fully warmed up) They said It could be low on coolant(which it wasn't), the thermostat, or the engine coolant sensor. I need to figure out where the sensor is at and what is involved in replacing it, and I was wondering if this could be the cause of the rough idle. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The sensor for the gauge should be the same as what the PCM uses... Having the exact code (Pxxxx) would help us out a lot.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

here is what i got when i googled it for you.

The sensor that tells the computer the temp is located on the drivers side of the engine between the middle and back exhaust port. I checked mine and that is where it was located. hi the cts coolant temp sensor for the ecm is in front of eng in lower intake and the sender for gauge is left side between 3&5 plugs hope this helps

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In '98, the two sensors were combined into one sensor located on the driver side cylinder head between cylinders 3&5. The vehicle in question is a 2004. I do not have information in front of me that says if they converted back to the two sensor arrangement in the mid-02 design change. But from looking at parts pages, it would appear that it is only one sensor even for the mid-02+ Vin X engines.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bberry, & swartlkk, Thank yall alot, it was right where yall said it would be, between 3 and 5. I really appreciate the help!