2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2004 ZR2 Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Beginning Member
mkm1387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2004 ZR2 Brake Lights

My brake lights have been acting up where sometimes the bottom two lights will not light up when the brake is engaged but the top brake light strip always engages. If I tweak the brake pedal, or kind of push it to one side then the bottom brake lights will also go on. I was wondering if this would mean that the switch is faulty. Are the bottom lights separated from the top one in the switch? I bought a new switch but I have no yet installed it. Im wondering if mine is just loose. How does the switch mount to the pedal? Its hard for me to tell...it looks like there is some kind of pin under there that holds it in place. Please help! Thanks.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Look at your new switch. Note there is a C-shaped opening opposite a hole.
Use a flashlight and look closely at the junction.
You pull the hairpin clip, slide the switch and actuator over until the hole in the switch clears the pin.
Push it up and away from the pedal pin. You do not have to pull the actuator all the way off the pedal pin, that's why the C-shaped opening

Pull the switch down for clear access and release the harness connector catch and pull the connector.
Install the new switch and install the hairpin clip.
Push harness connector into switch

{NOTE: I dont think the curve shown on the pedal lever is correct. Think it should be the other way.. dont let it confuse you}
__________________________________________________ _________

All that said, I dont believe it will fix your problem. The usual solution to your problem is to look at the hazard switch. It could be that moving the pedal slightly improves the brake switch contact.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member

what could be wrong with the hazard switch? do you think the switch that mounts to the pedal arm is loose?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by mkm1387
what could be wrong with the hazard switch?
The better question is 'what couldnt!'
https://www.google.com/search?q=brak...lazerforum.com

do you think the switch that mounts to the pedal arm is loose?
No.. the way the switch works, it could be worn. But the HMSL works from the same switch contacts, at least in 99, which uses the same part # yours does.
Just to be clear I advise you to go ahead and change the stop switch. It is probably on the way out.

What I'm saying is dont be surprised if the problem comes back. The fender stop lamps signal goes through the hazard switch which has known problems.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-21-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member

the hazard lights seems to work fine though, wouldnt they be acting up if they were going?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM
BF Veteran

First let me address your earlier question about something being 'loose' causing the problem.

NO

If you look at the way that switch is made and the diagram above you will notice there is NO adjustment at all. Activation of the switch depends on a designed bit of slop between that pedal pin and the hole in the actuator plus the high spot on the actuator. Which is precisely milled length from the center of hole for the purpose.
This makes the stop switch one of the most relaible component is the car and it works so well that the mechanism is industry standard.. it's been used on every car, mostly fords, that I've owned since 1980. There is no 'fix' and no adjustment. If the contacts do not make properly inside the assembly the only feasible answer is to replace it.

Originally Posted by mkm1387
the hazard lights seems to work fine though, wouldnt they be acting up if they were going?
Not always. Perhaps I gave you more info than you can handle. Just wanted to give you heads up. I fully believe your diagnosis that if you press brake a certain way, the corner brakes work. So replace that stop switch. But you might just want to order this to have it handy.

But I am not pulling this out'a my butt:
https://www.google.com/search?q=blaz...+hazard+switch

Rockauto.com

PriceDORMAN Part # 924608
Stamped 15177379
$9.62

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-21-2012 at 04:50 PM.