Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Noob question on speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Oktain, Ill be over soon to watch the next Bruins game if you don't mind! I like to FEEL the hits!

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Starting Member
98Ltblazer is on a distinguished road

did u ever post pics up?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Beginning Member
th3m00s3 is on a distinguished road

just got all new speakers installed today- all boston acoustics.

boston S60 components in the front...speakers in the side doors and tweeters in the dash
boston S953 6x9s in the back panels

they sound real good...such an upgrade over the delco (stock) speakers that were in there before. if you guys have never seen a stock GM speaker, you'll have a good laugh. they barely look like speakers.

now i just need to get a new head unit and maybe get some subs

Old 05-06-2010, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

even one sub will provide a nice punch to your music, if you amplify your speakers it will sound much better. I myself have a Pioneer HU with "stock" speakers in, i have pioneer drop ins for doors and no rears. the dash are stock until after next week (after finals). I have components in my room waiting to be installed.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 AM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, one ten or twelve with around 400-500 watts in a sealed enclosure will do wonders even in a larger cabin like the blazers. Sounds like your off to a good start though. Any ideas on your subs/amp/headunit? Or is that something for the future?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member
th3m00s3 is on a distinguished road

i'm thinking maybe a JVC arsenal for my head unit, but i'm open to pretty much anything as long as it has aux and ipod inputs as well as a built in HD radio tuner. for subs, im probably just going to get one. the place i go to for everything is an official retailer or whatever for boston and rockford fosgate, so i'll probably end up getting one of those two brands. the only thing im worrying about is the amp...i've heard as a general rule of thumb that it's "$1 per watt", which would be really expensive for a 17 year old kid to pay for out of his pocket.

edit: nevermind...just looked around online and i see some amps with a ton of watts for little price (2000 watts for 250)

Last edited by th3m00s3; 05-07-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by th3m00s3
"$1 per watt", which would be really expensive for a 17 year old kid to pay for out of his pocket.
Hey now, when i was 17 i paid out of pocket about 1300 for my system back then. I'm just messing with you. you can get a lot of good name amps for next to nothing online, just make sure that its a legitimate website and that they offer warranties

Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 PM

One thing to keep in mind in amps is that the MAX watt rating might be if it's running on a high voltage electrical system. Or just exaerated wattage claims period. If a amp says "1500 watts" and costs $70, probley doesn't put out that much power.

Another rule of thumb is fuses. Not that it is %100, but it will ballpark the wattage. If a big name amp (kicker, Rockford, etc) requires say 150 amp fuse for a 1000 watt amp. That means if it pulls more that 150 amps electrical, the amp will go into protect. If a kicker needs 150 amp fuse for 1000 watts, and a bargain brand only has 60 amp fuse for the same amoun of power. That may be an indicator that in doesn't put out that kinda power.

Also look for "2006 cea complient" with the power ratings. It's kinda like a certification, stating that it does produce this amount of power. Some amps that arnt compliant still make great power, but do alot (imphisis on ALOT) of research before you buy an amp.

My opti2000d only pulls maybe 130-150 amps max power and it's fused for 180. It claims 2000 watts but will do 1900 at 0.5 ohm with a 14 volt electrical system. I bought it refurbished from overstock.com for $302 with a 2 year protection plan. Most other websites want $350-500 for them new with only a one year warrenty. But I did a lot of lookin and research.

But just know what your buying when you get it. Don't buy based on the box or what a salesman alone says. Just my opinion

Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran

Screwed, you took the advice out of my mouth. I completely agree with you... My all time favorite cheaper amps are Kenwood, you can get a 1000 watt kenwood for about $200 and it'll put out about 800-900 actual if you're electrical can handle it. I have bigger more expensive tastes which is why i'm being stupid and saving up money to buy my fun toys later this month when i collect my paychecks... anyways, back to this thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Hey I hear ya on bigger more expensive tastes. I'm researching high output alternators as we speak. Looking at maybe 150 amps at idle and maybe 250 or so at driving rpms. Debating on 2 more of the 15's I have now, and maybe another opti next summer.

With my big tires my engine turns lower rpms on the interstate so that is hurtin the electrical also. But hopefully a gear swap will give me power back and raise my rpms up and help out. You gonna start a build thread when you start like I wish I had? ha ha

Quick Reply: Noob question on speakers...