Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Starting Member

JamesHotWire is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer 4x4 transmission repair or replace?

Hello all, my first post here, I,ve been scanning though the forums havent found anything related to my issue, though likely it's been covered. If so some links would be much appreciated.

Ok so I bought a 98 blazer from a fellow maintenance worker. He was fuming mad at his truck as was planning on scrapping it. So I gave him $300 for it and towed it back to my house today. He claims he was driving highway speed and that the transmission just locked up and threw him into the dash. Prior to that he said it was shifting fine, only had a small leak that required a monthly fluid top off. The truck has right at 200k miles and other than the fact that the is now no forward or reverse seems to be a solid truck. The fluid is in range on the dipstick, normal in color and smell, and no metal flakes that I could see. I did hear an occasional clang from under the bellhousing so definitely something is broke in there, also when I pulled the dipstick the was a slurping sound coming from the filler tube. And that's all I know at this point, as I haven't got into it any further yet. I have located a used transmission, but would like to be sure it's not something I can fix on this one first. Any input on the matter will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM

jeffthenail is on a distinguished road

Suggest dropping of the Trans oil pan to see what may be obvious. Next step is to remove the trans and get a manual to possibly disassemble for repair. If the other unit is reputed to be good, put it in. chances are you can't rebuild the one you have for $300.
Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM

Tags
1996, 2nd, 4x4, 98, blazer, chevy, forum, gen, hard, repair, replace, trans, transmission, transmisson, transmition