Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 trailblazer 4.3L auto - Engine lugs upon acceleration after startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM
Starting Member
boughtablazer is on a distinguished road
Default 99 trailblazer 4.3L auto - Engine lugs upon acceleration after startup

I have a 99 blazer with the trailblazer package. 4.3L, auto, 195K.

I've put 30K on the vehicle since I bought it two years ago and ever since I've had it, for a period of anywhere from a couple of minutes to 5+ minutes after startup the engine will idle fine but when I put it into gear and press the gas pedal the vehicle just bogs down and will not accelerate, for the entire range of the gas pedal. It tries to accelerate the most as it's bogging down when I barely, I mean barely feather the gas pedal, rather than throughout the rest of its range. I've noticed that when this occurs upon startup, if I have the A/C on and I turn it off, the car still momentarily bogs down, but it doesn't remain bogged down for as long as if the A/C were to remain turned on, before returning to normal and accelerating upon pressing the pedal. The same thing with just the vent turned on as well.

Once the blazer has returned to normal and I can accelerate, it acts fine until I stop somewhere and turn the engine off, whether that somewhere be down the road, or across town once the engine has reached operating temperature. Once I start the engine again, the same problem described above occurs again.

Please, any input or assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your reply.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:50 AM
Starting Member
Impact is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem and have no clue what is causing it. I am curious if the emission system could be causing this.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer Kid is on a distinguished road

i had this problem a year ago, catalytic converter was clogged. dead give away was it was rattling around in its housing. check there, my truck starting only being able to go about 25mph then just wouldnt move anymore, transmissions have like a fail safe in them and wont have it lol

Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
Redneckrebal15 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by boughtablazer

I've put 30K on the vehicle since I bought it two years ago and ever since I've had it, for a period of anywhere from a couple of minutes to 5+ minutes after startup the engine will idle fine but when I put it into gear and press the gas pedal the vehicle just bogs down and will not accelerate, for the entire range of the gas pedal. It tries to accelerate the most as it's bogging down when I barely, I mean barely feather the gas pedal, rather than throughout the rest of its range. I've noticed that when this occurs upon startup, if I have the A/C on and I turn it off, the car still momentarily bogs down, but it doesn't remain bogged down for as long as if the A/C were to remain turned on, before returning to normal and accelerating upon pressing the pedal. The same thing with just the vent turned on as well.

Once the blazer has returned to normal and I can accelerate, it acts fine until I stop somewhere and turn the engine off, whether that somewhere be down the road, or across town once the engine has reached operating temperature. Once I start the engine again, the same problem described above occurs again.

Please, any input or assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance for your reply.
This guy is right about the cata. Could also be an exhaust leak. Engine just isnt getting enough back pressure. Had that problem on my 88 silvarado. And now on my 2000 4x4 zr2

Old 03-03-2018, 06:32 PM
Sreg92 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by boughtablazer

Anyone figure this out yet?