Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

my 94 s10 wont switch gears consistently

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Starting Member
Mel_94s10 is on a distinguished road
Default my 94 s10 wont switch gears consistently

I've already put it on a lift and changed the fluids and filter.
However she still revs really high when acceleratted. and won't shift consistently one way or another, there is no specific gear she went go into, I can manually put her in 1st and 2nd and then drive will catch from there half the time.the other half the time I'm just running in second being careful not to over rev as much as possible.
I made a list on sensors to check and was wondering who else had this experience. I want them in order when I go
And does anyone know if regular auto parts store

Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my 93 wont shift at all because i have the vehicle speed sensor unhooked, but sometimes if you rev it up very high it will shift into second. so that might be a issue, but usually if thats the problem your speedo wont work either.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member
MyWorkInProgress is on a distinguished road

How does it act in reverse? Are your fluids at the right level? Don't go throwing sensors at it right away you may be wasting your time and money. You may be having a pressure related problem that's why I'm asking about reverse since reverse needs the most pressure to function. These early 4L60E's are quite problematic unfortunately a big issue is the 3-4 clutch packs going out, not at all saying that's your problem though. I would look at your valve body it may have a blown gasket or it could be warped, also take a look at your booster valve it could be stuck in its bore which is a simple fix. If the first to second gear shift is late and harsh, this problem can usually be traced back to the TPS (throttle position sensor) being defective. If you have a volt meter now would be the time to use her, with the ignition on, check the voltage on the TPS. It will vary as you move it. The voltage should increase or decrease in a smooth linear line. If it does not move smoothly you will need to replace the TPS. Now if there is a shutter during 1-2 shifts at WOT (wide open throttle) I would suggest looking at your 1-2 accumulator you may have a busted spring, next check the piston for cracks and bore for stress damage, those would look like scratches or scuffs. Sorry if this is a lot of info at once but these are things you should check before purchasing anything.

Last edited by MyWorkInProgress; 02-06-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:50 AM
Beginning Member
Sunfish is on a distinguished road

Mine lunges into 3rd when light footing it. It does fine when you push it. This 92 of mine has been setting and I want to service it myself. Where is the booster valve located and what does it look like? Who makes or has the best filter for these and what brand of fluid is recommended? Is it possible to drain the convertor? Does anyone have a good link to a video? I'm full of questions I know but I rarely have to do things twice when I have good information going in. Thanks Sunfish