Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Newbie question, probably stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member
Justin Kane is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie question, probably stupid.

Does the transfer case get filled with fluid from the transmission or do you have to add it separately? Like I said, it's probably a very stupid question, and if it is, hit me with whatever you got. Lol

Old 02-09-2017, 09:14 AM
Brian Hinzpeter is on a distinguished road

The transfer case has its own fluid you can check it by pulling the fill plug that is on the top rear driver side of the case. If a little bit trickles out after the plug is fully removed the case is full also examine the condition of the fluid. In my personal preference if I'm not sure if its ever been done I will replace it even if it looks clean so I know for sure. The fluid is fairly inexpensive ($20-$30) and it is fairly easy to do. Also there is a drain plug on the bottom of the case on the rear driver side of the housing. Make sure you pull the top one first. It will save you a huge headache.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure,” - Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Brian Hinzpeter
The transfer case has its own fluid you can check it by pulling the fill plug that is on the top rear driver side of the case. If a little bit trickles out after the plug is fully removed the case is full also examine the condition of the fluid. In my personal preference if I'm not sure if its ever been done I will replace it even if it looks clean so I know for sure. The fluid is fairly inexpensive ($20-$30) and it is fairly easy to do. Also there is a drain plug on the bottom of the case on the rear driver side of the housing. Make sure you pull the top one first. It will save you a huge headache.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure,” - Thomas Jefferson
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it! Gonna check that sometime this weekend when the snow melts.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Transfer cases use different fluids depending on which 4 wd system you have. 3 button systems use dexron ATF while 4 button systems use autotrac fluid.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Transfer cases use different fluids depending on which 4 wd system you have. 3 button systems use dexron ATF while 4 button systems use autotrac fluid.
You wouldn't happen to know which "nvg" is the 4 button system would you? I can never remember which is which

Old 02-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justin Kane
You wouldn't happen to know which "nvg" is the 4 button system would you? I can never remember which is which
NV233 is the 3-button t-case
NV236 is the 4-button t-case

Old 02-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
NV233 is the 3-button t-case
NV236 is the 4-button t-case
Thanks man! I appreciate your help.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

New venture gear 236/246 are the 4 button, nvg 136 is full time auto 4wd with no buttons to control it manually.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's what the numbers mean:

Manufacturer:
NP = New Process Gear
NV = New Venture Gear
Number of speeds/gears (1st Number):
1 = One speed (high range)
2 = Two speed (high and low range)
Strength (2nd Number):
1 (low) to 7 (high)
Type (3rd Number):
1 = Part-time 4WD
2 = Full-time 4WD
3 = Electronic shift
4 = Not currently used
5 = Torsen-type differential
6 = Computer controlled multi-plate wet clutch
7 = GeroDisc
8 = Not currently used
9 = Viscous coupling

In the S-series trucks, only the 231, 233, 236, and 136 were used when it came to the New Process/New Venture transfer cases. And they could have been NP (New Process) or NV (New Venture) made transfer cases. NP became NV sometime in the 90's.

There were a few AWD trucks that came with the BW4472 transfer case which was a fulltime AWD transfer case with no electronic controls, just a fixed viscous coupling. The Typhoon/Cyclone variants came with this t-case as did a the AWD 95-97 Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada which was a somewhat rare option in the base s-series suvs.