Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM
aced411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ticking noise

I get a subtle ticking noise from under the hood. It sounds like the serpentine belt. Would it do any harm to spray some STP belt dressing on it? I can't visually see what the problem is.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:54 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default RE: ticking noise

Read the label on the belt dressing... it says not to use on serpentine belts...

I have a slight ticking too, but its nothing to worry about... just lifters.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

If your lifters are ticking, it IS something to worry about....that indicates a problem, it's not normal by any streach for the lifters to tick in these engines.
Belt dressing should not be used on a serpentine belt like Brent said, and your ticking noise could even be caused by belt dressing if someone put some on it. Try thoroughly cleaning both sides of the belt, I use a wire brush with the engine running, but I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone else.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

sometimes the ticking is the belt tentioner

Remove belt start truck

if ticking is still there then its the valve train or worse
if no ticks then look at the belt tentioner it could be going

These things are hard to say without viewing the issue. Its best that once the trouble shooting you can do it done then take it to a Mechanic and have them do a safety check to make sure that you dont have something major going on.

Good luck and Safe travels

Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

If your lifters are ticking, it IS something to worry about....that indicates a problem, it's not normal by any streach for the lifters to tick in these engines.
Crap, I need to get that checked then... Been doing it for months, I was told its nothing to worry about.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 AM
aced411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the heads up. Jiffy Lube installed a new belt for me about 6 months ago. Maybe they hosed something

Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
BF Veteran

It could be your compressor... sometimes they tick.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a slight ticking too. It's only right when the engine is started. It's so mild that I can't get anyone to hear it but me. I want to know what it is!! It can't be the belt as I just replaced the belt even though it had like 20,000 on it....just cause I felt like it. I want to figure out this noise!!!! Mechanics can't ever even hear it!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: BrianMichaels1

I have a slight ticking too. It's only right when the engine is started. It's so mild that I can't get anyone to hear it but me. I want to know what it is!! It can't be the belt as I just replaced the belt even though it had like 20,000 on it....just cause I felt like it. I want to figure out this noise!!!! Mechanics can't ever even hear it!
I have the same situation. A slight ticking noise only when it is warming up. If I wasn't so particular, I probably wouldn't notice it either, but it's there. After a couple minutes, it disappears, and if you start it again while the motor is warm, it isn't there.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, indeed. Sure would be swell if any mechanics were particular enough to hear it and tell us what it is...

On a side note I'll be hitting the 100,000 mile mark today so it's a special day for my Blazer, I'll be taking pictures of the odometer when it happens
And since I'm never selling it, it will probably hit a million before I die...I'm so curious what the odometer would do? I doubt the computer was exactly programmed to go a million miles, it might just stick at 999,999.

Quick Reply: ticking noise