Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

(Pic) Heater hoses and control vac lines location

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
MudHawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default (Pic) Heater hoses and control vac lines location

I recently bought my wife a 1985 K5 Blazer. The heater core was bypassed and I wanted to get the heater working again.

I installed a new heater core and I am also replacing the radiator, water pump and hoses.

I have a few loose ends that I would like to find out their original connections.

First, I am replacing the heater hoses and I measure at the core the lower hose at 5/8” and the upper hose at 3/4”. Which hose goes to the intake manifold and which hose goes to the radiator? Does it matter which hose goes where?

Is there a vacuum or cable operated shut-off valve in one of the lines from the heater core to the intake/radiator? If so, which line gets the valve, which line is the supply line and which line is the return line?

In the picture Item 1 is a small hard plastic line coming out from the firewall along with a bunch of factory-wrapped wires. I think that this is the vacuum supply to the controls in the cab.

Item 2 is a solenoid or relay or something with a two-wire plug on one side and a vacuum line coming out of the other end, I don’t have a clue as to where this would go or what it does.

Item 3 is a vacuum line coming from a vacuum canister mounted on the far driver’s side and is a ball shaped canister. There is a vacuum line running from this ball to a tee that is opened on the other two ends. I think that one side of the open tee goes to the vacuum tap on the manifold and the other end of the open tee to Item 1, the line that runs into the cab.

What’cha think???

Old 12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: (Pic) Heater hoses and control vac lines location

I would need the VIN,GVWR,and engine size\options (4bbl,air pump,etc) in order to get the exact vacuum diagram for your Blazer.

*EDIT* - Here's one for a 1986 C-10 LWB 305 Custome Deluxe 10:

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/196B9D1B714F4868AE1E54AD654679FB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 PM
MudHawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: (Pic) Heater hoses and control vac lines location

The VIN is 1G8EK18H4FF*****

The GVWR as listed on the door jam 6100/2767
The GAWR is 3550/1610

The engine has just been rebuilt and is a 350 out of a 1971 Monte Carlo.

I just measured the outlets on the radiator (3/4") and intake (5/8") and I will hook them up to the same size outlets on the heater core.

I connected Item 1 to the manifold vacuum tap and the cab controls work fine. I am going to tie in Item 3 so it will run from the manifold vacuum tap to a tee, one side goes to the canister, and the other side goes inside the cab for the controls.

Item 2 eludes me. The wire colors are solid brown and solid yellow. Some kind of trip for when a certain vacuum is reached? Maybe a trip for some transmission function? How about a signal for the ECM? Hook it up to a vacuum source and see what happens? I am sifting through some wiring diagrams now, but with no luck so far…

When I swapped motors, the only wiring that I hooked up was the electric choke and the hot for the dizzy from the ignition switch. I don’t know what kind of ramifications would result from excluding whatever brain or emission control systems the ‘85 305 had.