General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1977 Blazer Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Beginning Member
Quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1977 Blazer Pricing Question

I'v been searching for a K10 for a long time now and just happened to stumble upona full-size 1977 k5 Blazer that I'm interested in. The truck has the 350 in it with 186,000 miles, a 3 speed automatic (with a shift kit) on the column, and 4x4 on the floor. The ad said there was a little rust (I haven't looked at it yet-since it's 2 hours away but I have requested some additional pictures) but that the truck ran strong (although he said it smoked a little on start up and quits after a few minutes), shifted firm, and thatthe brakes and tires are all good. The guy is asking $995 for it. According to Edmunds it appraises for $200 (granted I have no idea if he's customized or modded anything), which even for a truck that old seems a little low to me. So what would be a good price for me to start negotiating at? I don't wanna start off too low (like at the Edmunds price) but obviously I don't wanna pay asking price either.

Any suggestions and input would be appreciated guys - thanks in advance!!!

Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 1977 Blazer Pricing Question

Without pictures it is awful difficult to assess worth...

I just picked up a 74 K5 for $400 with rusted out rockers and some rust around the wheel openings in the back, but very good metal everywhere else.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member

Understandable. I did see some pictures of it before the ad was taken down and everything looked good....but there were no close-ups of anything so I can't be sure. I have requested some extra pictures of the engine, interior, and the spots that are rusted...so hopefully I can get those and post them.

i'm pretty sure that he saidthat the rust wasat the bottom of the doors and the rear at the bottom corners....like I said hopefully I'll get some pictures of it soon.

Just to get a baseline though, lets assume that the thing was in pretty good shape, with no rust on the outside and a decent interior....what would be a fair price then? I really want the truck -I just wanna make sure I pay a fair price for it....

Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I would have to see it. My blazer was not exactly complete, but it was what I wanted.

Offer the guy what you think it is worth. Without pictures and with the way I typically deal with things, if it sounds like a good deal at the price it is currently at, I will haggle just a bit to see how much lower I can go. If it seems a bit high (do not take the edmunds price, that is ridiculously low), I will put a number on what I feel is a low ball offer. In this case, knowing that it has some rust, no mention of the condition of the tires or interior, I would probably offer $500. Hopefully someone who is receptive to selling his vehicle will not take that offer as a slap in the face and end negotiation. If they scoff, do not let up. Ask for a counter offer and go from there.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I agree about the Edmunds thing...I can't even really see how they'd arrive at a number that low. I did however get some pictures - so take a look and let me know what you think. From what I see in these pictures it looks pretty good and doesn't appear to need too much work...but I definately value your all's opinion since I'm just getting into the Blazer scene.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Looks to be in similar condition as the 74 I just picked up, but with a complete matching interior (+). You have more rust just behind the door in the bed side though (-).

You will need new inner and outer rockers (at least on one side), doors, wheel arches in the back. The front fenders look good. Take a look at LMC truck for available sheetmetal patch panels to know what you are getting into.

Given those pictures, I would think that somewhere in the $500-$700 range would be appropriate. Maybe start at a $500 offer.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

Sounds good....I'm going to take a look at it tomrrow so I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the advice!!!!!!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry for the delay I picked it up last week (I'll have full pictures soon) and paid $750 for it. Everybody who has looked at it seemes to think that I got a good deal (in fact a friend of mine offered to but it off of me the first time he saw it for what I paid). The interior is in pretty great shape (I mean great for 31 years old) - with one hole warn through the carpet at the passenger side. The dash has one crack in it (also on the passenger side) but is otherwise in good shape. The engine runs strong and the transmission shift firm (although from first to second kicks like a mule the guy said he put a shift kit in). I was wondering though are there any aftermarket trannys available? I'd love to have more than 3 gears for highway driving hahahaha....

I'm pretty pleased with it over all and I think a minimum amount of work would have it in great shape....