General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Hazard Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:52 AM
punkcat89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hazard Switch

I have a 2000 chevy blazer. There was a recall on the hazard switch which I had replaced. A few months since replacing it my hazards will go on from time to time. I really thought no big deal but now it is happening more frequently. I am also having a problem with my windshield wipers, blinkers and multiple other things in that area. I went back to the dealership that replaced the hazard switch and now they are telling me that I have to pay to have it replaced and that the multi-function switch is probably bad too. Is there two different switches? Everything I find is only showing a multi function switch. The dealership is treating me like a dumb woman, but I do know a few things. This is the same dealership that told me vehicles do not have pistons. So is there two seperate switches or are they trying to take me for a fool? Of course my extended warranty is up and they say the warranty on the hazard switch is up too. Please help!
Thanks
Vicki

Old 11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hazard Switch

if you do infact haqve a warranty on that and they're fraudulently telling you you don't that's highly illegal. and if there was a recall on it call gm and ask if multiple replacements are free or just the first and they'll tell you. and go in there with a hell of an attitude and they'll bend over for you 9 times out of 10

Old 11-23-2008, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The hazzard switch and multi-function switch are two different things. The multi-funtion switch is what you grap hold of every time you signal to turn left or right or to use your windshield wipers. They do tend to go bad after some time and replacing it will fix your problems.

As for the hazzard switch, I'm not sure if the dealer is required to replace it again after replacing it from the recall. The recall was for a defective switch, which I'm assuming they replaced with a non-defective switch.

I would replace the multi-function switch first and see if that doesn't take care of everything.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The hazard switch is part of the multifunction switch. They are not two separate devices. The hazard switch can be replaced independent of the multifunction switch, but all multifunction switches come with a new hazard switch.

And yes, the dealer replaced the switch with an improved design. As such, they are not required to replace it again for free.

According to your first post about this problem:
ORIGINAL: punkcat89

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer. I went in to the chevy dealer to have some work done a year ago and was told about the recall on the hazard lights. Since then I have been having a problem with my hazards coming on whenever, my 4wd not coming on and multiple other things. I went back to the dealer about 1 year later and told them that all these things are starting to happen all the time. They told me that it is not the hazard switch but probably the multi function switch and that I would have to pay for it. I tried to explain that none of this happened until the put in the new "hazard switch". I was told that the 2000 Chevy Blazers have a hazard switch and a multi function switch. Is this true? I am a woman, but not a dumb one and know a little about cars. Are they trying to pull a fast one or are there both switches? The new switch they put in can that not be faulty? These guys told me that cars do NOT have pistons. That is why I am wondering if they are just trying to squeeze money out of me. Please help!!!
Vicki
When you went to the chevy dealer a year ago, did they do any work related to the hazard switch or just tell you about it. If they did work and things started messing up, I would have taken it right back to them insisting that they fix what they broke.

Now, I think you may have multiple problems as the multifunction switch does not have anything in common with the 4wd system... Could you elaborate on the "multiple other problems" as there may be information in those other problems that may lead to a diagnosis.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:25 AM
punkcat89 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I originally went to the dealer I had some other work done and they told me about the recall. Some of the other problems I am having are: 4WD will not engage all the time. If I hit any of the 4WD buttons they just blink at me. It feels like it is in 4WD but then kicks off when the light quits blinking. The windshield wipers when I use the spray they will go twice as long as they use to so the window is dry but they keep on a going. Hazards just go on whenever and the right blinker will sometimes not work.
Is the multifunction switch something that is difficult to do? I do have someone who does work on my car. Is it something he can hadle or should I take it to the dealer?
Thank you to all who have replied!!! I really appreciate it!
Happy Thanksgiving!