Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

BL in process... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
Default BL in process... HELP!

so i started to do my body lift lastnight on my 99 jimmy, everythings off and all body mounts except 1 are loose.... i have a stripped bolt any tips on getting it out? its the mount above the axle so kinda tight space

not completely gone but the 15mm socket isnt snug like the others were

Old 12-28-2011, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Maybe try one of those sockets for rounded heads...tuff break man.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Starting Member

i went to canadian tire, princess auto, facca fasteners and all of them dont have one for a 15mm bolt... every kit jumps from 14mm to 16mm, i dont understand how i cant find a 15mm and i dont think i have enough space to drill a hole and use the other type of extractor

Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Starting Member

im beyond pissed with this, last thing i wanna do is put the truck back together without the body lift in

possible to cut the floor out from the trunk and just cut the bolt out somehow? i have a MIG so putting a tiny peice of the floor back together shouldnt be to hard

Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

when i did mine i had one bolt snap off the welded "box" looking nut in the body at the rear corner.
i used a hole saw and made a hole...applied some large washers and new nut...backfilled the spot with some generous coating of undercoating and called it good.

if it where me i would exhaust the methods of least destruction...then go to plan 'b' and cut a hole like i did.

just my opinion (not a pro fyi )....others may chime in.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

If its just the head starting to strip find the closest (smaller) standard socket and try to hammer it on there.

Nothing else you might be able to grind the head off. Then when you have the body jacked up you can get a better shot at soaking it with oil and use vice grips on the bolt shaft.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

If you can grind off the head of the bolt or use a reciprocating saw, cut it off at the lowest point so you have shaft left. You said you have a MIG - after the crap is out of the way weld a larger nut to the bolt. Larger as in the ID of the nut will be close to the OD of the shaft. Weld on the inside of the nut if you can, especially if you have an .035 or .023 it should be easy. LET IT COOL & you've just made a temporary bolt head!
Put on the appropriate socket & tons of penetrant & it should come out.

<edit> Looking closer at the pics I'd wedge something between the frame & the body to keep pressure pushing them apart & cut horizontally along the top edge of the frame. You don't want the reciprocating (sawzall, fox tail w/e) saw to bind up.

<edit again sheesh> If possible clean off the existing rusty bolt head with a wire brush on a stem for a drill & weld a nut to it.

Last edited by Rottidog; 12-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Starting Member

thanks for all the info guys

BFH, 9/16ths socket and 2.5' breaker bar

now to continue and get this bitch up 2"s!! lol

another question concerning my hitch, i have a aftermarket one on will i need to do anything to get my rear bumper and hitch back on or it all goes back on the same? i know i need to cut the bumper abit

Old 12-29-2011, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The bumper is attached to the frame along with the hitch, so unless your BL kit didn't come with bumper brackets you'll end up like...

Notice the gap between the bumper & body? That's with the 3" BL that was on the blazer when I bought it though. They don't make 3" BL's for 2nd generation blazers so needless to say there aren't any bumper brackets on my blazer.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
skotti will become famous soon enough

with the second gen body lifts, u just have to redrill new holes to the exisitng rear bumper mount, and trim some metal away at the bottom.

hitch your stuck less you fab something.

Quick Reply: BL in process... HELP!