Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Automatic Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

What year is your truck?

The 2nd Gens have automatic lights, you can keep them from automatically coming on by clicking the dome light button quickly four times. You will hear a chime and the headlights become manual.

This has to be done everytime you want to switch the lights over to manual.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

I tried a search, even a tag search and I got nothing for auto headlight disable. Sorry guys, am I just incompetent with search?

Could someone just throw the link up here? Because this is the thread it kept giving me.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member
jonnyisback is on a distinguished road

To disable ahl all you have to do is take out the passenger side speaker grill and if you car is 2000+ then unplug the sensor and put a 2.2k ohm resistor into the plug.

Heres links to the guides. (I just installed hids on high and low, relay to disable dhl and enable quad beams and disabled ahl. )

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.p...hreaded&start=

Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Different. DRL's are only daytime running lights and do not turn on your parking lights. Auto-headlights turn on everything when the ambient light level drops below the preset level (whatever that is). Defeating the DRL's will not keep the lights from coming on at night.

If you can, I would just do the quick defeat using the dome override button.
sorry Curtis, Kyle beat me to it.

Originally Posted by zedartwo
The dome override doesn't work on my truck, I've tried numerous times and nothing ever happens.

What other way is there to stop the auto headlights?

Do you have to disable the DRL's to use HID as well. I had to in my Grand Am.
i don't think that feature (to disable) works on the trucks exported to Canada, probably 'cause of our own damn laws (re Big Brother).

and as far as i know, we have to pull the fuse for the DRL's if we put in a HID system.

Originally Posted by BlueRyde
Thanks guys. I`ll take check out the search feature and see what comes up. Man I wish the "for your safety guys" would let us turn on our own lights or what ever feature they think is better controlled by them. I like the old days when we decided for ourselves.
couldn't have said it any better myself.

Originally Posted by zedartwo
I tried a search, even a tag search and I got nothing for auto headlight disable. Sorry guys, am I just incompetent with search?

Could someone just throw the link up here? Because this is the thread it kept giving me.
Originally Posted by jonnyisback
To disable ahl all you have to do is take out the passenger side speaker grill and if you car is 2000+ then unplug the sensor and put a 2.2k ohm resistor into the plug.

Heres links to the guides. (I just installed hids on high and low, relay to disable dhl and enable quad beams and disabled ahl. )

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=6098&pid=182196&mode=threaded& start=
yeah, that's for the '99 & up (from what i've read). i think it's only a 1 ohm resistor on the '98 and down trucks, but i'm gonna search through my old posts later tonight and see where i discussed this. i had contacted another member who hadn't been on here in a longtime (lives up North, near oktain) and reopened his thread about this subject.

i'll post a link when i find it.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member
BlueRyde is on a distinguished road

Mine is a 99. Where would I find a resistor for this application? Is Radio shack or some place like that the place to go?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, Radio Shack was the place mentioned to get that resistor.