Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Bravada HID light alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default Bravada HID light alignment

I used the search function, and found responses for the Blazer and Jimmy, but not for the Bravada.

I wanted to put the hid light kit from my Alero on the Bravada for the low beams (both 9006). I tried putting them in without messing around with the alignment screws, and they work. The passenger's side is only high by a little bit, but the driver's side is aimed way up in the trees. Can they be adjusted low enough to be okay?

1999 Olds Bravada

Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by No false Bravada
I used the search function, and found responses for the Blazer and Jimmy, but not for the Bravada.

I wanted to put the hid light kit from my Alero on the Bravada for the low beams (both 9006). I tried putting them in without messing around with the alignment screws, and they work. The passenger's side is only high by a little bit, but the driver's side is aimed way up in the trees. Can they be adjusted low enough to be okay?

1999 Olds Bravada
They should be able to.Most vehicles have adjustable head lights.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No false Bravada

1999 Olds Bravada
If everything worked fine with the old bulbs, chances are the HID bulbs are not to blame here.

There is one other VERY common issue that is often overlooked when reinstalling the headlamp assemblies. Most first timers will install the assembly incorrectly to the core support. What typically happens is that the tabs on the bottom of the headlamp mounting frame are not inserted into the pockets in the core support. The clips will still go in and the headlamp will stay put, but the result is the beam shining into the trees as you have noted.

Check this before you waste time adjusting them down only to find that there isn't enough adjustment!

Attached are a few pictures showing the slots (lower red boxes) and the holes where the frame goes through and is retained by the clips. The first picture is from the front with the headlamp assembly removed. The second picture is from the back with the air box out of the way and the headlamp retaining clips removed, but shows the tabs properly inserted into the pockets in the core support.

Hope this helps!

Wow! I just noticed that I took these pictures 9 years ago!

Attached Thumbnails Bravada HID light alignment-headlamp_mounting1.jpg   Bravada HID light alignment-headlamp_mounting2.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Starting Member

I never noticed those before. I reinstalled the stock type bulbs, and they aren't all over the place. I'll check again after work.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since the act of switching bulbs requires removal of the headlamp assembly from the front of the truck, it is possible that you have reinstalled the assembly correctly after changing the bulbs. I would try it one more time with the HID bulbs, being careful to get the tabs in the pockets in the core support and see how they perform. I had HIDs in my old 2000 Bravada and they worked fine, albeit with hot spots like crazy, but that's what you deal with using HID bulbs in a halogen reflector bowl.

Depending on the quality of the source of your HID bulbs, it is possible for the bulb to be bent. The fact that you removed the kit from your Alero says that the bulb should function properly. So long as you were careful with the bulbs between the Alero & your Bravada, they should be fine. You could test that out by swapping the bulb to the driver side, ensuring the tabs are properly seated, and see what the beam alignment is like.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Starting Member

The kit is a 55w 8000k by VVME. With the Alero, quite a few people have flashed their high beams at me, thinking mine were on lol.

But that may be just it. Just got back to the shop, I'll check it out when I get to the vehicle.

Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 AM
Starting Member

That was it. I put the kit in and reinstalled the housing, alignment is good. Thanks for the help

Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Glad to help!