Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Fog light question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Default Fog light question.

Well, I've decided I want to wire up some fog lights behind my grille (when is the question now, winter is coming so...) to have a clean look, while maintaining functionality.

My question is, after searching I figure getting power straight from the battery is acceptable (I'd put an in-line fuse in just in case). Would I need a relay? And if yes, what size/rating would I need? (This coming from the quad beam mod kit I remember seeing that had a relay.)
Any other info or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:03 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't see why you'd need a relay. I guess it would depend on the lights you get.

Open mouth insert foot.
Shouldn't have said anything. lol....but after a little searching I thinks these issues are going to impact your decision.
Are you wiring straight to headlight switch? What's the amp draw on your fogs? Link.

Last edited by oisinirish; 09-02-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Post before thinking
Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

That's interesting. Thanks.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would definitly wire in a fuse relay.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
rknudson74 is on a distinguished road

Chances are the fog light wiring is already there. Look under the hood at your fuse box and see if you have a relay and fuse in there. All you would need to buy is the headlight switch box with the fog switch in it, for a clean look. the wires for the lights will be behind the grille.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 AM
99 blazer is on a distinguished road

I know this is old..but if all you need is the headlight switch for fogs..what about wiring to the fog lights is that there too? to hook up the switch i mean

Old 11-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rknudson74
Chances are the fog light wiring is already there. Look under the hood at your fuse box and see if you have a relay and fuse in there. All you would need to buy is the headlight switch box with the fog switch in it, for a clean look. the wires for the lights will be behind the grille.
Originally Posted by 99 blazer
I know this is old..but if all you need is the headlight switch for fogs..what about wiring to the fog lights is that there too? to hook up the switch i mean
Depending on the year, the wiring should be there from the headlight/fog light switch to the BCM, from the BCM to the under hood fuse box and from the under hood fuse box to the fog lights (that aren't there). (Note: I may have that order wrong.) Notice I mentioned the BCM. You'll have to get the foglight program added to the BCM for the OEM switch to work. Costs somewhere around $100 and probably a trip to the dealer as they have to call GM and get a number to program in the Tech2. After that, all you should have to do is plug in the foglight bulbs (880/881) and you're good to go.

I'm adding aftermarket fog lights but I'll probably pony up the money and have the BCM programmed for factory fogs sometime, too.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
BF Veteran

Wow... anyway, I'm getting a custom light bar made and I'm going to wire fog lights up on that, and Driving lights behind my grille... I'll make a diamond plate light switch plate and put that somewhere.