Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

strobe bulb location in 1st gen taillight

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Beginning Member
urbex is on a distinguished road
Default strobe bulb location in 1st gen taillight

Yes, I am authorized to have emergency strobe lights in my vehicle, and I am well aware of the penalties for the illegal use of them

With that outof the way, I'm trying to decide where in the taillights to put the strobe bulbs. My setup is a Whelen Hide-A-Way with the pop in style regular strobes, not LED. In my Cherokee, it was easy as the running lights used both the dim filament in an 1157, and a seperate 1156. I just pulled the 1156, and siliconed the strobe in it's place. I see I'm not that lucky on my '91 S-Blazer.

I have no problem drilling a hole in the housing, just wondering if I should put it in with the taillight/brakelight section on the top, or with the running light in the middle? I was orginally thinking with the running light, as it would put the strobe bulb more or less parallel to the ground, and wouldn't mix in with regular hazard flasher use as well (thinking if I had the flashers on with the strobes, the strobes would over power them, and make them pointless to have on at the same time). But then I figured the strobe is going to overpower them regardless of where I mount the bulb, so worrying about that was pointless. Then I was also concerned that putting it in the middle cavity would put it too close to the lens and dividers, possilby melting them.

Is the light from a strobe bulb directional enough (or at all?) to even worry about whether it's mounted level or not?

Last edited by urbex; 11-25-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I would mount them in the backup light portion. It shouldn't matter which orientation the strobe is.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Before I took them out I had mine in the running light area (the 194 bulb). I ran them for about a year with no problems but I didn't run them very long when I did have them. The only reason why I left them out was cause I didn't wanna drill out my new tails.
Strobes are not directional at all.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

check ebay. maybe they have some already tapped for a strobe bulb. i bought a old fire dept brush truck and it had them already in the back. someone either spent a lot of time on this or they bought them from somewhere

well... i guess it dont look to bad, just use a hole saw then a file to make the squares