Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

need help with wheel and tire fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
thedopeshow912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help with wheel and tire fitment

Im wondering if i can fit 15 x 8 rims under a 1997 cheby blazer 4 door suv. And does backspacing really matter for fitment of the car?

If i can fit them 15 x 8 badboys, then can i put 31 x 10.5 inch general grabber at2 tires on those rims? or will it look stupid?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: need help with wheel and tire fitment

15x8s, 4.5' backspacing, 30x10.50 General Grabber AT2s:

You need at least 2' of lift to get 31s under on stock rims. The rim size is not so much an issue as the backspacing. Lower backspacing = smaller tire. This pic is with no lift. I could turn maybe 40% of full lock to lock. I trimmed to make it streetable untill I got shackles and cranked the tbars. Now, with the 2' shackles/tbar AND 2' body lift AND trimming I still rub offroad in corners. 31s would be all that much more interesting

Edit: YES backspacing really matters. Thats pretty much what determines what size tire you can run (in case I wasnt clear). The best reason to go with a lower backspacing is to get a wider stance. Heres 4.5' :

Much better than the hiding-the-tires-under-the-body-so-no-one-can-see-how-small-they-are look

Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Beginning Member
thedopeshow912 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, i got a 2 inch body lift and a 2 inch rough country suspension lift (which have the shackles ant extended arms for front). I have the general grabber at2 tires, so what is the most and least amount of backspacing that i can have on my rims for them to fit? And how can i measure backspacing for rims?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

backspacing is from the rim lip to the mounting surface at the rotor.

As for how much backspacing, that depends how much you want to rub. Lets say you dont want to rub any on the road, day to day. My 30x10.50s and 4.5' of backspacing are fine day to day. If I had less backspacing, say 3.75', I would probably rub on bumps and hard turns with the same size tires. If I went with 5.5' of backspacing (found on ZR5 rims), I would be fine day to day, even offroad, but I might catch some frame at full turn.

Now...you said you have 31x10.50s. Thats a bigger tire, so the clearences are tighter. So if you run 4.5' backspacing, you'll probably rub daily with hard bumps (driveways) or parking lot turns when you hit the brakes (truck rocks forward). If you go with bigger backspacing, you alleviate the fender rubbing, in exchance for frame rubbing. Lower backspacing will give you huge problems, and will most likely end up with some bent fenders.

Multiply the problems if you offroad. As a rule, smaller tire = more articulation, but since youve already got the tires, you should pick a rim with ~5' of backspacing, and you should have a nice balance between stance and minimal rubbing.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Beginning Member
rtmcd13 is an unknown quantity at this point

you have the same lift i do but i am adding a add a leaf also and cranking the t's a lil to get a little bit more clearance. I am running 33x15x12.5 Kumho's with my rims at 4.75 backspacing and a positive offset of 1 this put the inside of my tire in the same place as my stock tire. So no frame issues and with the extra lift and alignment i"think" i should be ok right now i only rub behind the front tires at almost full turn and on bumps.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran

Thats a first. With that backspacing and a 12.5' wide tire..you should be having some issues.

ZR2s have issues with 33x1250s after a 2' body lift....

Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM
armyfighterolson is on a distinguished road
Default fenders

anybody know a good place to get aftermarket fenders (preferably fiberglass) for an 84 k5 blazer that will allow more wheel clearance?