1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

How much work is it really to remove and install engine and tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:50 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much work is it really to remove and install engine and tranny?

Ok, well I might be getting a good deal on an 88 s10 pickup with a blown up 4.3. It seems pretty nice, its my cousins old truck. But he blew the motor a while ago and its just sittin and he says I can take it and pay him whenever I have an extra couple bux. What I would do though is remove my engine and tranny, and put it in the new s10. How much work would these really be? My buddies tell me its not hard at all and could be done within a couple days. I've just always wanted a pickup. And A nice little s10 would be nice. It does have 4x4 but I wouldn't lift it like the blazer, too much gas loss. So anyway, if I do decide to do this, how much work would it really be?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How much work is it really to remove and install engine and tranny?

How new of an s10 are we talking? Are the drivetrain configurations the same (ie both 4wd...)?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 PM

It's an 88 s10 pickup. Yes both 4x4. The truck in my sig, putting the engine and tranny in the pickup from my blazer.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok then. It shouldn't be all that difficult at all. What tools do you have on hand? Cherry-picker engine lift?

You'll probably want to pull the core support and at least the inner fenders to give you the most room possible, but that may require pulling the outer fenders as well...

Old 11-29-2006, 01:03 AM

Yeh my buddy has an engine lift. Umm... basic garage tools. No air tools, but can get them. The thing I don't like the idea of is the wires and air conditions hoses and junk like that. Would it be a good idea to replace the radiator also or use mine from the blazer?

Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Administrator

As for the A/C, you'll want to leave the system intact on each vehicle. You'll basically unbolt the compressor from it's mounts and set it out of the way while leaving the refrigerant lines hooked up. You can do the same thing with the power steering to help reduce the amount of work later on. I kind of forgot about the A/C... LOL.

It can be done with normal hand tools, but air tools always make it easier. You'll have to pull the engine and transmission separately. I would suggest removing the fan shroud and fan, then remove the transfer case and transmission after that. Then pick the engine out the top.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll let ya know when I decide to start this.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 AM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

[sm=chairshot.gif]

Good Luck!!!!

:-)

I'll just sit here in my lawn chair with a 7&7 and watch. Lemme know if ya need me to hand ya a wrench!