1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4.3 votec + dymanite = good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

Welp, I didn't really have to try anything because before my problem started, I had replaced everything on that car that could be replace, except for the ECM & Oil Pressure Switch...everything else, and I mean everything was brand new. That's why I was a little confused about what was going on with no codes thrown at all....A total shutdown happened to me 4 times, the first 3 I was always able to restart it after sitting for 5-10 mins....with no codes and everything brand new I figured it had to wiring..in my search I had taken off the panels to expose the ECM to check all the wiring going to and from it...when the 4th time came, last Saturday of all times...it went again and this time it would not even begin to start...when I looked down at the lights after 4 times of trying to start it, I saw the Check Engine Light was not coming on.....yea...finally something to shoot at...I reach up and put my hand on the ECM and you could fry an egg on it.....gezzzzss it was hot....it even blew the ECMB 15 amp fuse.....so a hundered dollar tow home, a new ECM & fuse and I'm back where I started...getting 19 mpg and running great.....that's why I can't be of much help because I knew what the problem finally was....My only suggeston is too pull the panels and let the ECM just hang down....turn the engine over several times and then put your hand on it..see if it's hot...see if any wires going to it are hot....hot beyond what it really should be...it's a horrible suggestion I know but its a start....I think you'll find that llittle black box your talking about, piggy backed on the ECM....

Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Beginning Member
chadillac85 is on a distinguished road

well understand very well and have already tried letting computer hang and check for heat(did that when replaced heater core. but thanks very much for everyone help and suggestions found a shop(i know i know foot in mouth) that would look it over an diagnose and if they find a bad wire fix it for like 100 buck and they have a good rep. so i'm hoping for good new ill let everyone know what problem is by next week.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Just wanted to say I feel the same way and if I had dynamite I would blow this truck sky high!!!!!!!!! I honestly say this all the time since I am so sick of this vehicle.