1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4 wheel drive questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:18 AM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 wheel drive questions

hello, new guy here. i just bought a 91 4 wheel drive 2 door s10 blazer. i recently got about a foot of snow here in good ol Il. i figured id take the ol blazer out and make some tracks in the drive way for my girlfriends car. unfortunently i got stuck. but any way. when i put the blazer into 4 wheel drive only one of the rear wheels spins and thats it. also, i am unable to get it to go into 4 lo. i cant physically move the shifter into 4 lo. when i first bought the vehicle a fe weeks ago it did go into 4 hi. so i guess my questions are:

why wont it go into 4 lo?

if im stuck in snow and its in 4 wheel drive wouldnt all my tires spin?

i've read a few suggestions about checking vacum lines and what not but theres too much snow for me to get under it right now.

im also curious as to why none of the interior lights work. i've checked the fuses and they are all good, the horn doesnt work either. the circuit itself is getting power and i checked the fuses with a volt ohm meter. i've read about dome lights and interior lights staying on but mine dont work period.

any suggestions or help would be appreciated. im sitting at home in 12" of snow and im not going any where. by the way, i have a baby boy due in january and would like to fix some of these items before my baby comes and more snowy weather.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:51 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4 wheel drive questions

Actually 4x4 is a marketing tool. Reality is that only one wheel per axle has power, unless you have posi or locker differential. A locker is a mechanical method that engages both wheels of an axle to rotate at the same time, and if they do turning maybe a little more of an experience. Posi's and lockers are good for forward motion in a straight line. If you have ever been around a "Late Model" race car you hear a popping sound when they turn tight in the pits that is a disengagement of the locker because when you turn in a circle the inside wheel turns less than the outer wheel. This is why lockers are primarily used in the rear axle.

Posi's use a clutch mechanism to do the same thing as a locker but without all the turning popping noise issues.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 AM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point

when i place my blazer in 4 wheel drive does it automatically go into 4 wheel drive? ive been told that the front tires have to turn at least once to engage. is this correct?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member
96jimmy4x4in is an unknown quantity at this point

yup