1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 conversion?

ORIGINAL: ptg327

is there a book or repair manual orsomething on how to fix this ****
I'm sure there is a book somewhere. I haven't been involved in these trucks long enough to know.

or is my best bet a new transfer case?
If you want to spend $1000...unless you can find a good one in a junk yard and pull it yourself.

weather man says winter weather is right around the corner for NEPA and rear wheel drive in the snow around here is only fun if you plan on not showing up to your destination or waiting for the snow to melt at one of the 1 billion mega steep hills
I would do the locking cable conversion and see if that works. If it does, great...if it doesn't, well you would need to do that anyway.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point

can i just do the locking cable conversion and simply just use the cable with out having to touch the 4x4 button at all. what im trying to say is can i just use the cable and have 4 wheel drive?

Old 11-16-2008, 05:14 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mysons95

Yes, it would then be a two-step process to engage your front wheels. Push 4Hi or 4Lo, and then pull and lock the new cable.

The push buttons would engage the transfer case and the pull cable would lock the front wheels.
Here is what I said earlier.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 PM

yea dude i understand that but does the transfer case have to properly work? does one of the lights need to stay solid? because when i press them all they do is blink about 6 or 7 times and then go out.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The front axle engaging does not mean anything unless the transfer case engages.

As far as something that details how to repair the transfer case, you could either get a factory service manual, or try the AlldataDIY.com service as this would also include any technical service bulletins that have been released for your vehicle.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:32 PM

ok thanks for the help guys

Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM

i hear that my problem is the engager in the front axle? it has two wires going into it and threads right into the pumpkin? somebody told me that there is some sort of ceramic thing in there that cracks and needs to be replaced.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's new...

Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 PM

what do you think swartlkk?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

About?

Quick Reply: 4x4 conversion?