1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

4x4 tranny issues... Just lifted her.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
NCSurvival is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 tranny issues... Just lifted her.

Will have to see my profile pic to look at the truck...

Just added 3" summit body lift, and 31x10.5's. Had to readjust shifter linkage a bit, but 4x4 is acting up, as well as 2wd! 4 Low goes through all the gears, 4 high acts like 2 high and wants to bog down and lose power after 30MPH??? 4 Low light stays on at all times now. Those are the symptoms.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:41 PM
adhdandthensome is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 tranny issues... Just lifted her.

well sounds to me like your transfer case linkage needs adjustment, or possibly longer rod made. You should be able to disconnect linkage and manually put into two high, then you should be able to adjust stock linkage or see if you need a custom one made. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

I agree and it should be easier to get to it too with that body lift on there.

I saw the pics, I would suggest a suspension lift too cause it still kinda looks low, except the back bumper, but those tires look great on there.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Starting Member
Cidium is on a distinguished road

when you said adjust the shifter linkage you mean the tranny, auto? Also is this on the fly button transfer case?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Cidium
when you said adjust the shifter linkage you mean the tranny, auto? Also is this on the fly button transfer case?
When you say that, do you mean shifter in the floor with the button on it? yes, It shifts on the fly into 4 wheel. Yes, we had to adjust the shifting lever linkage. Nothing done to 4x4 shifter.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

Theres 2 types of transfer case, manual on the floor, and push button controlled by a shift motor.

Obviously when you did your lift you basically "pulled the cable" on the transfer case into 4lo.

(Look at the 4x4 actuator link in my signature. It has a picture of a transfer case perfectly on there so you can refer to that as to where the cable hooks up on the transfer case.)

Then I would disconnect the shift linkage on the transfercase, manually move it by hand into 2W Hi and then move the shifter on the floor into 2W Hi (MAKE SURE TRANNY IS IN "Neutral" and your parking brake is set. After everything is in its "home" position in 2W Hi I would reconnect the link between the line and the transfercase. If you got to modify then now is the time to do so.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Starting Member

Well, there are 2 types of floor shifters, one is the ol' manual type that has a mechanical linkage and there is a electronic version of the floor shifter. So from your post it sounds like you have a floor shifter that is electronic. This still uses the encoder motor, so I don't see how lifting the body could take the TC linkage out of adjustment.

On my automatic shifter linkage, they, whoever did the lift added about 3" of round stock to the end of the shifter rod to take up for the distance. Not sure what adjustments you made to your tranny linkage but I would think you might want to add some length to it.

As for checking the selection of the transfer case the best way is to grab the front driveline and see if it spins or is locked. I know you said your 4 low light is always on, best to make sure if it in gear or not. Most likely if you have electronic shift TC you'll need to pull the front driveline and maybe the front yoke to get the encoder assembly off. Once you get the assembly off you can use a 5/8" open end wrench to move the selector shaft on the TC.

What do you mean 4hi acts like 2hi? 4hi wont engage ?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Cidium
Well, there are 2 types of floor shifters, one is the ol' manual type that has a mechanical linkage and there is a electronic version of the floor shifter. So from your post it sounds like you have a floor shifter that is electronic. This still uses the encoder motor, so I don't see how lifting the body could take the TC linkage out of adjustment.

On my automatic shifter linkage, they, whoever did the lift added about 3" of round stock to the end of the shifter rod to take up for the distance. Not sure what adjustments you made to your tranny linkage but I would think you might want to add some length to it.

As for checking the selection of the transfer case the best way is to grab the front driveline and see if it spins or is locked. I know you said your 4 low light is always on, best to make sure if it in gear or not. Most likely if you have electronic shift TC you'll need to pull the front driveline and maybe the front yoke to get the encoder assembly off. Once you get the assembly off you can use a 5/8" open end wrench to move the selector shaft on the TC.

What do you mean 4hi acts like 2hi? 4hi wont engage ?
2wd and 4wHI will not shift into 2nd or 1st. (when relying on automatic tranny) Won't go passed 30MPH. It acts as if it wants to bog down. I neglected to mention that I was run off the road last week, but the only damage I received was tie rod ends needing replacing, along with ball joints.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Starting Member

Well, sounds like you might have linkage issues to the tranny. Can you shift all the gears when it's not running? (testing the linkage)