1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s10 4 door once again dies on hot day

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ussexplorer
As for update. once today I was driving along at 45mph and my digital dash starts fluctuating. Oh well I know these has problems. But I only seen this once before. Then the whole vehicles stalls. But it catches itself. That guages reset and everything is running fine. I was all ready to pull it over to the side of the road. But I have had this happen a few time before. Just never really noticed the guages acting up. But they all still read correctly while fluctuating. I'm thinking wiring issue or something is going out causing a back feed on the system. Since this is like the issues above. Except I was going at 45mph. If I find out what it is. Then it probably fix all the staling issues and no I have no done the fuel filter yet. Sorry. But it is on my list. I was just hoping somebody would say oh yea guages and stalling. Check this.

Thanks,

Josh
Also, if everything goes out, besides the speedo and the odo, its your power supply, easy fix if you have knowledge. If the whole thing goes out, you need to have it rebuilt, the guy that sold me the parts here in MN will rebuild your current one for about 100$, and you will keep the same miles you have on it now.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

This may seem like a dumb question.... but have you checked the terminals are tight in the battery? I had a car that would randomly stall at times and found that one of the terminals was stripped and not making good contact. Would run great for days, then suddenly die. Would usually start right up too....

If you think it is so something like a short, start by checking things near the motor. The motor might be rocking on the mounts and causing the intermittent problem. Check the wiring that goes behind the distributor and down towards the transmission. It is not uncommon for that bundle of wiring to get pinched between the bell-housing and firewall, and some of the wire in there is large enough to seriously drop the voltage in the system during a short.

I know you replaced the coil, but what about the spark/coil wires? At a minimum you could replace just the coil wire that leads to the distributor to make sure that's not the culprit. Also run back through the coil control wires to make sure they aren't broken/pinched anywhere.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Yes and Yes

Yes we did a tune up last summer. It didn't help any. Wires, plugs, pvc valve and air filter. Plus whatever else it needed. Yea I'm thinking ground I came back in and read more after I posted my update but it was raining last night. I was going to check the wires to the fuel injectors and yes I already checked the battery cables. In fact I put a brand new battery in last year too. But thanks for giving me a heads up about the bell hoysing wire and stuff. I have been checking all the wires I can. But just have not got out and crawled all around. As for the dash. I do know these have dash problems but from what I could tell non of them had anything to do with the vehicle stalling. I find it strange that the dash acted up before it was about to die. As for the rest of the time. If it did die. The dash would have stayed on. I hope that make sense. The dash only resets when the vehicle catches itself and does not die. Almost like I would turn the key off and right back on again. One time I did fine a loose coil wire from the cap to the rotor. But it just came off. The display was fine and I have never had that problem since then. With any of the wires. Yes all the wires click on.

I'm leaning toward eletrical. But was wondering if fuel cut to the truck and then back asap would reset the system. But I doubt it would cause the digital cluster to fluctuate.

I hope that between the two maybe somebody would say. Oh yea check this spot on the wiring. LOL.

Anyway,

Thanks for the help.

Josh

P.S. Plus if I do find the answer I'll make sure to post it. I try to post stuff when I find the answer. Use to do that when I owned my suzuki sidekick.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default small update

My brother tested the alt and the voltage was fine for dc. HOwever when he did the ac test. THe longer it ran. THe more the ac voltage came up. AKA bad alternator. He figured it would just keep building up to a higher ac out until it dies. So I'm going to get a new alternator and see what happens.

TTFN,

Josh