1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 4.3 W throwing codes 22,34,42

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default 94 4.3 W throwing codes 22,34,42

I was just getting into the foothills of colorado when my truck died on me going up a steep hill. I had the pedal to the floor but my rpms were stuck between 2000-3000 and then it died. I finally got it started i think after hitting my TPS but it still acts strange and the rpms get stuck sometimes, i basically cant go past 3000 rpms or i have problems so WOT is what is causing the problems. I am getting code #22-TPS, #34-MAP sensor voltage to low, #42-bypass or electronic spark timming circuit. So I am wondering if the TPS can cause the other codes to be throw because its acting like the TPS is bad. I did replace it last year but it was an ebay TPS so who knows. I am beginning to get use to there always being something wrong with the truck

Old 11-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I would check both the ignition control module and the distributor. I bet the pickup coil on the distributor is bad. My neighbor's 92 Blazer had the same problem with the Code 42 and it was the pickup coil on the distributor.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:38 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also check the grounds nearby. Specifically the ground to the motor to make sure all is well. Your TPS and MAP sensor could be seeing crappy voltage from a poor ground, leading to some funky issues.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Starting Member

Just an update, Tapping the TPS when it doesn't wan't to start doesn't do anything, it's hitting the MAP sensor is what gets the truck to start. I will check my grounds today but i guess my question now is can the MAP sensor cause my truck to throw a TPS and #42 code?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The MAP & TPS use the same +5V reference from the PCM to power the sensors. If there was a problem with MAP sensor, it could cause the power to drop to the TPS, setting a code there.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The MAP & TPS use the same +5V reference from the PCM to power the sensors. If there was a problem with MAP sensor, it could cause the power to drop to the TPS, setting a code there.
+1, Sounds like you found the culprit

Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Starting Member

Good to hear the MAP can throw the TPS off since i just replaced the TPS last year yet it's throwing the code for it. I believe i have a MAP sensor off a 88 or 89 blazer, will it work with the vortec engine even though its off a TB injected blazer?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 AM

I'm not sure.

RockAuto lists the TBI and MFI motors as different sensors. AC Delco has two different part numbers:

Vin W MFI
$81.89

Vin Z TBI
$53.79

AutoZone only yields one part number for both motors.

Duralast SU105
$51.99

Pepboys lists separate part numbers:

EC1633
Vin W MFI
$35.99 Not In Stock

EC1602
Vin Z TBI
$35.99

Last edited by workshop4ever; 12-03-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I'm really beginning to despise AC Delco and GM. There's no freaking reason for so many versions of the same part.

Unlike the AC Compressors where {I know for a fact} the car mfrs called for different configs from Delphi for the same A6 compressor due to engine brackets, there is no reason for the electrically identical part to have so many versions. You COULD blame whoever designs the intake but let's get real.
If you dont believe me look at starter solenoids.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Starting Member

Well here is what I am wondering, the autozone version #SU105 doesn't have a gasket on the part that seals into the plenum while the advanced auto and orilies versions do have the gasket. I also found this eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
That doesn't have a gasket but is the exact same as the autozone version so can I just take the seal off my old MAP sensor?

Quick Reply: 94 4.3 W throwing codes 22,34,42