1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

anyone know the model # for 5spd. manual trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road
Smile anyone know the model # for 5spd. manual trans.?

Hi all. I have a 5spd. std./manual tranny in my '92 S-10 Blazer, and in my '90 also. Does it have a model name, or number? I couldn't find it anywhere...

Also, since most seem to come w./ the 700R4/4L60E auto. tranns. would it be easy, hard or difficult to swap a 700R4 in place of my standard trans.? I was thinking of doing it on my '90 Blazer S-10 'cause the auto. is ALOT easier to plow with than with a std. tranny, right?---LOL!

Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i wouldn't say it would be easier,but probably alot stronger-i did the trrans in my '92 3 times over the six years i had it.
as for the model # of the trans, i take it were talking 4WD trans? since you didn't mention this, i took a guess from the fact you mentioned plowing issues. i'll take a look for my warrenty paper on the first trans i replaced (was a GM recon unit). you could probably find out the model # quicker buy going to GM, amd have them pick apart your VIN.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i wouldn't say it would be easier,but probably alot stronger-i did the trrans in my '92 3 times over the six years i had it.
as for the model # of the trans, i take it were talking 4WD trans? since you didn't mention this, i took a guess from the fact you mentioned plowing issues. i'll take a look for my warrenty paper on the first trans i replaced (was a GM recon unit). you could probably find out the model # quicker buy going to GM, amd have them pick apart your VIN.
Thanks, but am kind fo confused old skool... Do you mean that you had to rebuild your std. tranny 3 times, and therefore you think that the automatic is a stronger unit? I don't know about the 700R4/4L60's. all I am going by is that the automatics were always weaker than standards 15+ years ago. Just like the National league had better hitters than the American league then too!---LMAO!!--- I just don't want to have to be shifting and stalling on steep icy hills all the time, is why I am even considering an automatic... do you need to build them stronger, or are they okay in stock form?

Last edited by BlazeringSaddles; 10-08-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

who told you a stick is stronger than an auto? maybe back in the day they were. there's a reason so many large trucks are going auto (i'm talking about transport trucks). the only thing i've had happen to a 700R4 was i puked the front seal doing 150 (about 93MPH), passing up a hill.
as for the trans being done 3 times in my Jimmy, that's my own fault. i bought the truck with a broken bell housing (didn't know at the time). don't know how, but the original owner had "split" the bell housing from just above the driver's side dowel, around and over the top, and through the starter hump. anyways, it was breaking 'cause i was shifting @ 6 to 7 grand most of the time (75%?), and would even do 4 to 5 grand launches in 4HI to get the launch @ a green light (not the smartest thing to do, i know).
it sounds like you don't really like to drive stick, "I just don't want to have to be shifting and stalling on steep icy hills all the time, is why I am even considering an automatic... ". if that's the case then do the swap, but i would have a trans rebuilt if that's the life it's going to have. nothing worse than having a trans (or any part on the truck for that matter), break during the season, 'cause you and i know it'll break during that storm, in that the parking lot that has to be cleared before morning.
the biggest issues with using an auto trans to plow with, is heat & clean fluid. run a XL trans cooler and change your trans fluid before each snow season. i'm not sure if you'll need a different crossmember for the auto (i don't think so), and the drive shaft will need to be made to the new length. don't forget the electrical for lock-up and shifting. i can tell you that the reverse light wires in the wiring harnes are in a different location than on the standard. i had to use an "auto trans" harness to solve an "issue" i had on my '92 Jimmy, wasn't hard, just be thorough, and double check everything.
it realy is much easier to go from auto to stick, but is doable the other way around. hope i've given you enough info, but not too much that i've scared you off this. good luck.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 AM

Naw, you didn't scare me off, but I don't know if I want to put a "glorified TH400" {a.k.a. 700R4 as one of my Chebbie buddies called it}-- in place of my 5 spd. std. I know the Allison auto.'s are used in most of the medium to heavy duty straight-jobs, (non-semi's) anymore, but I thought it was because of all the wimps, and due to more women driving these days who prefer auto. tranny's...

But all kidding aside, I don't think I'll have the time with all my other toys (projects), 'cause I've got to get more sleep than I've been getting-haha! And since I had to search like hell to find a couple of standard S-10 Blazers, i'm guessing about 70% + of them ARE auto.'s right? So I mine as well get an auto. Blazer when I get back into the deep white stuff. Going to be a Canadian sooner than later...

I drove the old Mercedes straight jobs 'back in the day'. sounds like you're old enough to have actually seen one, eh? They weren't much fun to work on, but got great (diesel) mileage compared to Macks and Fords back in the late '70's and early '80's.

Sure do appreciate your advice though! I spent all day outside working on 3 vehicles, and realized like you said how you have to be THOROUGH! I haven't worked on any of my "toys" for about a year now due to injuries and other responsibilities, so it's good to be back in the saddle again. Err, ugh, I meant, back in the Blazering Saddles!Take care

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by BlazeringSaddles
But all kidding aside, I don't think I'll have the time with all my other toys (projects), 'cause I've got to get more sleep than I've been getting-haha! And since I had to search like hell to find a couple of standard S-10 Blazers, i'm guessing about 70% + of them ARE auto.'s right? So I mine as well get an auto. Blazer when I get back into the deep white stuff. Going to be a Canadian sooner than later...

I drove the old Mercedes straight jobs 'back in the day'. sounds like you're old enough to have actually seen one, eh? They weren't much fun to work on, but got great (diesel) mileage compared to Macks and Fords back in the late '70's and early '80's.
70%?.........i'd say more like 90% are auto. if you do swap to an auto, just make sure the trans shop builds it with all the good stuff (kevlar cluches, all the updates, etc.).
as for the old Mercedes, i do remember them (a few of the brokers @ my Dad's work had them), but i was too young to work on those. i only started working on my Dad's dump truck @ the age of 3 'cause i was small enough to walk under it without having to crawl or lay down (cheap child labour, hahahahahaha!).
you're planning on moving to Canada? where are you now?

Old 10-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Hey Old skool, liked that "cheap child labor" remark-LMAO!!! I'll definitely take your advice on building a strong unit if I go w./ and auto. tranny

I'm in CT. now. And it sucks! Toooooo many people per square km. and no wilderness right outside of town... Have to drive about 300km. to even GET to the wilderness in Northern New England...

I worked as a U.S. Forest Ranger in Montana and Idaho for several years... so I'm used ot the brutal cold and long-arsed winters you all have at times---lol---would have been easier when I was younger as I didn't feel the cold as much, oh well, C'est la Vie, eh? Had friends up in 'K-bec' and had a ball up there, maybe it's 'cause I'm part "frog" eh? -heee, heee, heee!!!!!

Is "GTA" the Greater Tornoto Area? Aways wanted to go to Algonquin Provincial pk., ever been?

Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by BlazeringSaddles
Is "GTA" the Greater Tornoto Area? Aways wanted to go to Algonquin Provincial pk., ever been?
yeah, it is. Algonquin is gorgeous, it'll definately remind you of your "Ranger days". used to go here alot when i was younger, first road trip i had in my Buick the first Summer i had it. now i go up near Bancroft for my get-away.

you laugh about our notorious Winter's up here, i'm watching the 11 o'clock news right now, and they're talking about the first snow storm to hit Calgary this season already.

what part of "K-bec"? i've have friend's in Hull & Grand-Mere.

if you're ever up this way, give me a shout, maybe i'll give ya a tour, show you some "Canadian hospitality".

Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 PM

I used go to Montreal , and over to
Sherbrooke where my friends live. Love my 'French Tarts' Oui` Ma'amoiselle' -LMAO!!--- I'll def. look you up and see if you have any free time when I get up there. Go to see Algonq. at LEAST once before I die--LOL!!-- did my thesis on wolves, so I have even more of a need to go howl w./ the critters than some folks do!

Thanks for the invite, your province is among the most beautiful due to its variety, (imo). Of course all the provinces have their own beauty. Wish I had bought land up in Northern Ontario when I was a younger man, can't tolerate the cold w./ the dampness now, so must head to B.C. where it's somewhat drier, but not much warmer, eh? --LMAO!!!!-- Need BIG mountains, Griz, and cats (cougars) as well as wolves to be truely happy in other words, while I'm freezing my tail off!

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM
BF Guru

i hear ya on going to B.C., but depending on where you go, it's not much drier than Ontario-but definately less humidity. i have an uncle who has lived in Kamloops for the past 10 years (or so), and says he see's Cougars regularly around his property, i should take him up on his offer to go visit, but never seem to have the time (poor excuse, i know).
drop a line if you're ever coming by.

Quick Reply: anyone know the model # for 5spd. manual trans.?