1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

anyone know the model # for 5spd. manual trans.?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM
BlazeringSaddles is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on how expensive the 5spds. are to rebuild, old skool! The Borg Warners are probably better than even the ole' "Rock-Crushers". Although Muncies and Saginaws were dang good most of the time! That will make a good thread topic when one of us gets ready to fart around w./ swapping it out! I will get serious about a Muncie or BW when I dump a 350 LT-1 into that s-10 puppie! But the way this "glorious" economy keeps kicking my butt, that may be decades from now! and my front cab mounts on my '92 are already rusted thru it looks like. --LMAO!!! They must have made LOTS of these 1st gen. Blazers 'cause the fenders, doors, -etc; are really cheap!

I've got a Borg in our 30 year old Toyota. It has an electronic overdrive making it a 4 spd. automatic YEARS before GM offered 'em, and it STILL runs fine, shifts like the day we bought it new! (Family car-in other words--LOL). And my Dad never changed the tranny fluid since it was new. So after 19 years, I did it, and there was NO metal filings in the pan whatsoever! Still can't believe it, but that's the truth! The filter was reusable it was so clean as well, but I put a new one in just for 'chits and grins'

Old 11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlazeringSaddles
Thanks for the 'heads-up' on how expensive the 5spds. are to rebuild, old skool! The Borg Warners are probably better than even the ole' "Rock-Crushers". Although Muncies and Saginaws were dang good most of the time! That will make a good thread topic when one of us gets ready to fart around w./ swapping it out! I will get serious about a Muncie or BW when I dump a 350 LT-1 into that s-10 puppie! But the way this "glorious" economy keeps kicking my butt, that may be decades from now! and my front cab mounts on my '92 are already rusted thru it looks like. --LMAO!!! They must have made LOTS of these 1st gen. Blazers 'cause the fenders, doors, -etc; are really cheap!
i plan on posting a thread for the swap i plan on doing with my '98. now that i've found one of my 5 spd's, i'm putting the process of swaping out the auto in motion.

yeah those Super T10's can handle good power, i had one behind the 337 horse 305 i had in my '81 LB.

those cab mounts are fairly easy to do. if you get to picky with the job though, you can spend waaaaaaay more time than you figured you would, which is how it usually goes, right?

Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i plan on posting a thread for the swap i plan on doing with my '98. now that i've found one of my 5 spd's, i'm putting the process of swaping out the auto in motion.

yeah those Super T10's can handle good power, i had one behind the 337 horse 305 i had in my '81 LB.

those cab mounts are fairly easy to do. if you get to picky with the job though, you can spend waaaaaaay more time than you figured you would, which is how it usually goes, right?
I look forward to your thread then on the auto. swap!

And those cab mounts can really be a 'pita' if you make your own I found out the hard way on my P/U. I made two, out of 18 gauge, w./ only vice grips and pliers and a 4" vise, after I ordered the other two and saw how flimsy they are, I didn't feel too stupid though, as I like stuff to last

Will order some for the Blazer, as I don't enjoy laying on the ground all day in the winter like I used to!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlazeringSaddles
1) I look forward to your thread then on the auto. swap!

2) And those cab mounts can really be a 'pita' if you make your own I found out the hard way on my P/U. I made two, out of 18 gauge, w./ only vice grips and pliers and a 4" vise, after I ordered the other two and saw how flimsy they are, I didn't feel too stupid though, as I like stuff to last

3) Will order some for the Blazer, as I don't enjoy laying on the ground all day in the winter like I used to!
1) yeah, i'm really leaning towards doing it. if i can find a local 2nd gen that's stick (and up for parts only), i'll grab it. the work doesn't scare me, and i think the hardest part is gonna be ripping out the dash to install that third pedal. plus i've gotta find someone to "flash" the ECM. i have a few performance guys, so it shouldn't be hard to get that done.

2) when i did the front corner cab mounts on my Jimmy, i was really lucky. i just cut that whole corner outta an '85 Blazer i had kicking around for parts-they were absolutely spotless! go figure!!
all i had to fab was the inner rockers, and i just put a flat plate in the corners above the mounts. stupid thing i did was, i used the same steel on the iner rockers as the floor-it was 3/32 thick! (that's .09375" for those that don't know) waaaaaay too thick in hind sight. they're probably the only thing to survive on that truck, if i still had it today.

3) i hear ya on the last bit, i'm begining to long for my shop again, but there's no way to stuff a 2700 sq.ft. shop under my house!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 AM

I'd be glad to have even a 270 sq. ft. shop, let alone a 2700 sq. ft. one!
I've got a pit under my garage, but the garage was made for 1940's and 50's cars. Everyone thinks they were "bigger" but most weren't really, they just look that way, and they weren't as long as newer cars either. They were taller, but not as wide even as the 60's on up! So, I've got a foot and a half of width to work in on the "wide open side", and only about 25cm/10" to 14" (depending on which vehcle is in there),on the tight side before the walls I mean...

But I built my own carport of a 2"x4" roof overlapping the studs about 2' for strength, w./ 1" pvc pipe and chicken wire over it to keep the heavy rain and snows from ponding up weight in the middle, then stretched that silver reflective type tarp over it 'cause the sun doesn't destroy it as fast as the colored tarps...and it's heavier/stronger too! Just used two 2" x 4" x 10'-ers for load bearing posts buttressed (sandwiched between 3/4" plywood plates up top for strength, on the top, near the far end. Put the bottoms of them into cement filled 8x8x16" cinder blocks, and they've endured all of our Nor'easters ( that gust over 40+ m.p.h.), just fine, so-far!---LMAO!---And since the base is portable, nobody in city hall can break my stones about needing a permit *wink* and it's sturdy as hell! More than I ever dreamed it would be! Plus, I can move the posts when AND IF I need to for car work. It gives me 2-1/2 feet on the wide side, and 1-1/2 feet when closed on the other, or unlimited width for big jobs, with the sides rolled up!

So you see, it ain't so bad for me outside, as long as I'm out of the rain, sleet, and snow! And like any project, it was a blast to create, and it got me out of the house {i.e; the "naggin zone"} for awhile. Praise the Lord! _LMAO!!!

It only extends about 12' from the edge of the garage, just enough to keep me and over 1/2 the car, and my tools dry while tooling around. I roll up the sides when I'm not working on it, so it's more versatile and looks better (imo), than the portable ones you see everywhere, 'cause it's made from wood. Now it's ripped after only 1-1/2 years. Dang couple of Nor'Easters this fall did so, GRRR!!! It should've lasted at LEAST 2 years...

However, the 'tree-rats' (squirrels), and even he freakin' racoons started digging their claws into it as they run fom the tree at the end of it to the garage roof at the other end---LMFAO!! So I may be having LOTS of squirrel soup this winter just like we did back on the farm. Getting WAY too many of those ****-wipes digging up all our "taters and tomaters"--LOL!--'Coon meat I'll pass on, too gamey and fat for this kid Could use their tails on my hat though! heee, heee, heee....

Last edited by BlazeringSaddles; 11-29-2009 at 01:56 AM.