1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

check engien light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM
big_charms@hotmail.com is an unknown quantity at this point

the cylender head temperature senser/ gauge? if so i have ordered one from napa, the wire to it broke off as soon as i touched it so i fixed that but that wasnt the problem all tho the "check gages" light was acting deffrent after so im assuming its reading better now and that it could be the cylender head temperature senser/ gauge

Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Before ya jump the gun and start checking all kinds of sensors check and make sure the engine has oil pressure, not over heating, or the alt aint bad. That's the reason for the gauges and that light in the first place.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM

well i just canged the oil lastnight. i drive 40 min to work and back and it hasent over heated on me thankfullly and its got a relitivly new alt and it reads just fine even with what i feel is a slighty smaller battery than i would put in, gonna get a bigger battery soon anyway, ill keep checking thing anyway, ill updat tomorrow after work and a lill more investigating. feel free to put in any suggestions

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM

hey so i have changed the temp sender switch and drained what i could of the coolent and put new in, coolent was rather brown and my buddy says it smells like burnt cooking oil, still havent fixed the problem, im thinking engen coolent temp sensor, but my haynes manuale says it would throw codes14 or 15 but im not reading any codes,

Old 12-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

So you're still having overheating issues? If so, it's a good idea to flush your cooling system to get any crud out of the system. That can cause overheating.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM

so after draining the coolent and refilling it i now have a leaky rad, just when i stop and shut it off, not loosing much coolent, i just talked to a rad shop and he suggested a couple table spoons of black pepper might clogge the hole or crack.
im gonna try it and ill update after work tommorrow with resualts
other wise its $450-$500 for a rad and a flush

Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Sorry for the delay. Just doing an update because I don't have the cash to do a rad right now. Anyways wg was driving home from work the other night, it was really cold and windy. When I was driving into the wind I noticed that the check engine light wasn't flashing hardly at all same as the temp gauge. And the heater only seemed to be at half temp when on high

Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Could be the fan clutch. When the engine is hot AND TURNED OFF/NOT RUNNING can you grab the fan and easily turn it by hand. If so its bad.

Ground black pepper and even a raw egg are both old school tricks. Will get ya home but by no means a long term fix.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 PM

Yes I can turn it. And the coolant has gone down too the point that it doesn't leak when hot. I'm sure the rad was like that when I got it but wasn't having problems with it.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM

The coolant shouldn't leak at all.

Quick Reply: check engien light