1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine dies, headlights too...? Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 PM
DerCribben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine dies, headlights too...? Wont start

I was driving down the highway the other night and all of a sudden the engine diesand the headlights cut out. I roll the car over to the shoulder of the road and try to get it to start. Starter turns, indicator lights on the dash light up, brake lights go on when I press the brakes, I get spark from the spark plug wires when I'm trying to turn it over. I'm having the damndest time making the correlation between headlights and fuel pump/injectors. Most of the dash lights are dead too.

This is a 1991 Blazer S10 4WD, white, looks like an abandoned vehicle but she generally gets me where I need to go.

Anyone have any ideas? This happen to anyone else?

I appreciate any help I can get.
DC

Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine dies, headlights too...? Wont start

Have you checked fuses yet? Any of them blown? You can't make a correlation between headlights and fuel injectors per say, but if you've got major wiring issues, anything goes.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

you really should do a compression check i had that happen to me just driving and it shuts off when i did a compression check i had no compression and then checked the timing chain and it skipped atooth and bent the valves in the heads.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:14 PM
DerCribben is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so, at this point I've changed every single fuse in the fusebox under the dash out, installed a new fuel pump, and swapped both of the relays out that were where my fuel pump relay is. The truck starts perfectly when I pour gas in and purrs for a few seconds and dies. There is no fuel getting to my valve body. This has to be a common problem. When I google anything about fuel pumps and s10's there are tons of people asking this question or a very similar one about their blazer but no decent answers. Is there some common fix? A recall? something I just don;t know about because I'm too new.

TIA,
DC

Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Just a thought..... if the headlights are out and there's no fuel to the injectors....I'm thinking, maybe a fusible link at the starter motor.
You'd have to check them with a test light because they can burn the wire but the insulator still appears to be ok.

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn on the key, before cranking?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM
cooolchick647 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had a similar problem with my old blazer and ended up selling it for parts, but my friend had a similar problem with his and it ended up being the pick up coil, you could try that and it might just work....i think it was like a 50 dollar part and all......but i wish i knew about them then cuz it was probably the same thing wrong with mine......good luck