1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Few issues with my '89 4x4 4.3L

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road
Default Few issues with my '89 4x4 4.3L

Hello, I recently got an '89 4x4 S10 Blazer and discovered this forum. I realize my questions may have been answered in other places, but I'm unable to find suitable answers by searching the forum. Here goes:

1: The ignition switch. The lock cylinder usually turns very freely with no resistance. I've narrowed the problem to the linkage between the lock cylinder and the ignition switch in the dash, and it's solvable by prying upward with a flathead screwdriver on the metal block attached to the linkage near the automatic shifter. I've had the steering column apart several times (it's looser than a $2 hooker, but I don't want to loctite it until I solve the ignition issue permanently) but getting past the tilt mechanism eludes me. How do you take the tilt mechanism off so you can get to the connection between the lock cylinder and that linkage?

2: the power door locks. They don't work at all. There's no sound from the motors, but when I took one of the doors apart and connected a multimeter to the motor connector and flicked the switch, I didn't get any voltage at all. Relay maybe? If so, where is it, and are there keyless entry modules that're plug-and-play with it?

Edit: Found multiple references to where the relay is. :| I notice that a short in the rear window defroster can cause issues with it, but uh... if I leave my rear window defroster disconnected (insert exasperated sigh at GM's rear window defroster connectors) will the power locks still work? Or do I need to close that circuit for the entire thing to work?

3: The gauges. They're mostly off. The only ones that read right (presumably right) are the battery gauge and the one below it. Oil pressure is pegged from the time you turn the car on to when you turn it off, speed is (at 40mph according to radar-equipped speed limit signs that we have in ABQ) about 10-12mph fast. I have no idea how fast it is at 65, but keeping up with traffic on I-25 takes it up to 85, and to pass I have to go beyond where the speedo reads. The gas gauge reads 3/8 tank when it's really about to run out of gas, and filling the tank pegs the gauge until it gets below 5/8 tank.

4: The CLUNKING! When I go around turns, I hear a "clunk-kathunk" from either the rear axle or the front axle (but probably the rear). Is this normal? What could cause it?

5: The heating/AC system: Every time you turn on the heater or air conditioner (and sometimes when you start the car when cold) the AC clutch squeals. From a cold start it lasts until you rev the engine. If the heater/AC/defroster are on, it happens for a split second every so often. I'm pretty sure this indicates a new AC compressor or clutch assembly. Can I pull one at a salvage yard, or would I be better off getting a new/rebuilt one. Also, while I'm replacing it, would it be a good time to replace the serpentine belt? The truck's odometer says 212K miles, but I don't know how accurate that is, given that the speedo's off and I don't know how long it's been off for.

Other than the above minor issues that can be worked around (but are still rather annoying) I love my Blazer, and will probably drive it into the ground, and then rebuild it with a 305 and a stick (grr automatics)

Oh, almost forgot: Where's the cruise control relay in the dash? I have cruise on the column, but the wire to the relay's not connected. There's an actuator (or at least I think it's an actuator, when I squeeze it when the engine's on it revs the engine, and it's not even CLOSE to the throttle body), I just can't find the relay to connect the control wire to.

Thanks for any/all help anyone's willing to give.

Last edited by theonetruetom; 07-28-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: see #2.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
fslobodecki@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

as for the clunk, look at the torque rod mounts on the upper rail near the cross member for the trans. the rubber will seperate and any flexing, turning, will lift the mount and set it down again. moog has a replacement, not expensive