1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Front end noise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Starting Member
FRICKINNUTS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front end noise.

Ya'll know I've got one of the oldest blazer on the forum and I have had very little problems with it.
I've replaced most of the frontend just because I was doing other things and had the money and since the stuff is over 20 years old I say what the heck...

I replaced control arm& bushing, pitman arm, draglink, brake rotors & pads, bearings and shocks. All this stuff has about 10,000 miles or lesson it now.

Now I have a poping noisesounds like it's coming from the left front. It's kinda strange cause it doesn't happen when I hit a bump just when I driving down the road around 30 or 35 MPH.
It's not real loud the only time I've ever heard a sound like it before was on a old Nova I had with a busted front shock. I've lifted it and shook the tire and I've jumped up and down on the thing and can't get it to make the sound sitting still.
Any body got an idea?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Front end noise.

Do you feel anything through the steering wheel at all when it happens??? What else happens when the popping happens??

Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

What brand of shocks did you put in??

Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you replaced the ball joints?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Starting Member

Monroe shocks.
New ball joints.
Nothing felt thru the wheel when steering.
Funny that nothing else happens, that's why it kinda scares me. No pull right or left. No bump just a pop. Loud enough to be heard inside with the radio on just simple cd player and 6X9's(no fancy boombox, I'm old and don't like all that noise).
Does it going down the road about 30 or 35. I noticed this morning it did it less than my normal drive to the train station about1 miles away, it wasn't that cold out side.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Grab a hold of the top of the shock. I'm betting that the top bolt didn't tighten up enough to draw the upper mount in tight.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Starting Member

Okay get this, turns out to be a bolt in the brake caliper loose. A little stress on the brake disk and it would kinda grab the pad and pop. Frickin took a while to figger it out.
I shook and beat on everything, the bolts are hard to tell if there not tight without putting a wrench on them. Funny thing is I looked right at it 100 times checking everything else before I started to just rip the whole thing apart and found out it wasn't tight.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Check the nuts holding your upper control arms. Mine worked loose a few days ago and gave me fits trying to figure out the problem

Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
JKVR6M69 is an unknown quantity at this point

you know what im experiencing the popping you were talking about. Thing is, I just got done replacing one caliper two rotors and changing out the pads on both (front end) and Im pretty sure i tightened everything down good but maybe not. I was having the problem with the popping before and now Im having it again... not really sure whats up though. Can you describe exactly what was happening with yours? Catching on the pad? Im gonna tighten down my bolts and see if that helps... hopefully so!