1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
agibson94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel issues

ok so about4 years ago i started replacing fuel pumps like mad to this date ive replaced 13.. anyway then about 3 years ago i started going through the spider injectors like they were cheap.. so i thought something was coming from the tank like rust so i bought a plastic tank, still didnt help injectors were lasting bout 2 months. so when that injector went out i thought it was my lines so i bought new gm fuel lines, new fuel lines inside the intake, new sending unit and pump it ran for awhile then what do ya know it did it again. so i decided to take the upper intake off and take the fuel injector completely apart and clean it, then put it back togther and it would run for a few days i did this a few times. i was getting tiny and i mean tiny pieces of finemetal in my tank, so the only thing left was my filler neck and those are like 400 bucks so i decided to have mine recoated because whatever the coated it with from the factory was coming off, so i did that and it worked for about 3 months i was changing the fuel filter about everytwo weeks this whole time. so now that my crate motor is getting put in as we speak and everything is new i hope this big problem dosent persist...if anybody has any ideas or have had this problem before please let me know something.. and yes it is getting real tiring messing with this for years but i am staying true to my blazer

Old 01-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: fuel issues

I would hope in all of those changes that you tried different fuel sources... I know it sounds funny, but bad gas can cause all of the problems you listed and replacing everything in the fuel system as you have and still having the same results leaves one other possibility... The filter should remove anything that would clog an injector besides deposits in the fuel that can build up (varnish)...

Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM

yes i already considered that and went to a different station for each injector, i am just thinking that mabey the filler neck was the fix there was just remaining metal pieces in the tank that didnt get cleaned out, but the thing about the fuel filter is that once it get so cloged up there is a bypass so you wont be stranded but the bypass has no filtration system in it atleast thats what ive been told either way there were traces of that metal in the screen on my injector when i took it apart so somehow it got from my tank to the motor..

Old 01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bypass... Ummm... A clogged filter will show signs long before it will leave you stranded anywhere. I have never heard of a bypass on a fuel filter...

Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM

im not arguing the fact man im just sharing what a mechanic told me before it could be wrong idk either way the metal pieces made it through the filter into the injector ..

Old 01-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Administrator

I suppose it is possible that whatever it is getting into the filter is compromising the filter media in some way (i.e. cutting the filter paper). Have you ever dismantled one of your filters to have a look at what is caught in it? I do this with oil filters periodically. A large diameter pipe cutter can be used to open the filter up.

But there should be a strainer on the fuel pump inlet that would keep out any large particles...

Old 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM

i havent done that yet but like i said it is real fine metal a magnet will pick it up, i even got a locking gas cap so i could rule out sabotage. it is fine enough to pass through the screen inside the injector .

Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Metal particles that a magnet will pick up...??? Now that is quite odd... Lines should not give off particles at all, stainless or not. Fuel lines should not corrode from the inside unless they are not stainless AND they were left with air in them for an extended period of time. New lines should not be contributing to this problem for a good long while. And you've replaced the fuel tank with a plastic one so that rules out the tank. The fuel sender, again, should not be giving off metal particles. Any corrosion should be readily evident

Is the filler neck corroding on the inside? Or is the paint just flaking off? Then again, anything flaking off of the filler neck should A) be caught by the strainer on the pump, B) be chewed up by the pump, and/or C) be caught by the fuel filter...

Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM

the lines were not the problem im pretty sure it is the filler neck whatever they coated it with from the factory has a metallic substance in it and that is what i believe is my problem so i took it to a body shop and had them strip it and epoxy the whole thing