1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member
Jbar is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Line

Hey Guys, looking a little advice. I noticed there is a leak in my gas line. The leak is right after leaving the tank, but pretty much as the line begins to run along the chassis and before the fuel filter. I am wondering how difficult it would to replace that section of the line (if at all).

Truck is 1991 S15 Jimmy.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not impossible, but there are a few options.

1) Buy the replacement line from LMC or RockAuto. They come as a set, with the both the supply and return lines from the tank to about the filter.

2) Make your own by buying the steel line, bender, fittings, flare tool (or repair kit). This is certainly cheaper, but a little more difficult.

3) If the break in the line is accessible, and there is a clean section of line nearby (by clean, I mean does not look rusted at all) it is possible to just put a band-aid on the problem by buying a few feet of steel line and some compression fittings. This will allow you to cut the line at the clean sections (using a hacksaw or pipe cutter) and just tie into it with new line. It's not the best of solutions, but is a quick fix that would get you back on the road while you save up time/money for a full replacement. A repair like this could last a lifetime, but its at a higher risk of failure than a complete repair.

Unless you go with option 3, you will want to buy flare wrenches (for removing the fittings without twisting the sender unit lines) and will want to spray the fittings with some form of penetrating rust remover (PB blaster) as early as possible before doing the work. Set aside multiple hours for this project, and I would check to make sure someone has a sending unit in stock nearby just in case. There is always a chance it wont go well.

As for difficulty, its in the medium do-it-yourself range. It's more frustrating and time consuming than it is physically difficult. The main thing to remember is to go slow, plan ahead, and avoid breaking any part of the line that you wish to keep.

If both of your lines look crappy, but only one has started to leak... it may be worth to replace both at the same time. Remember that when you go to replace the broken one, chances are you will bang into, move, or otherwise touch the good line. That line could be hanging on to its last threads of life, meaning you might end up fixing one leak to find another.

I highly recommend a second set of hands, as it's very difficult, if not impossible, to remove the fittings just above the tank without dropping the tank at least a few inches. This isn't necessarily hard, but will require two people.

Last edited by workshop4ever; 04-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:11 AM
Beginning Member
Jbar is on a distinguished road

I am actually leaning towards 1 and 2. I like things fixed rather than a bandaid, which may last forever, or may not. I'll try #2 first, because I have a tube bender and flare nut wrenches and I was planning to get a flaring tool anyway. Do you happen to know the rough cost of the lines you mentioned in #1? I'm more curious than anything.

Thanks for the suggestions. It doesn't seem overly difficult, but things always have a way of not working out as planned, hah!

Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

$84 plus shipping from RockAuto. Includes filter.