1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Blue92 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pumps

I have a 1993 S-10 Blazer that recently developed starting problems. One mechanic said its fuel related, but definitely not the fuel pump. Second mechanic says it definitely is the fuel pump which needs to be replaced and also the gas tank to the tune of almost 500 dollars. Any ideas on how to diagnose this, or anything else it might be?

Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be a lot more specific about the 'starting problems'. That covers a lot of things.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

CPI or TBI?

Have you or your mechanics tested the fuel pressure? If so, what were the results? Specific fuel pressure with the key-on, engine-off.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:52 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I would start by giving us some more info, and then dont go back to that second mechanic... You dont need a new tank unless its leaking, he just wants your money it sounds like. If you give us some more info we can help you out with this. This site is a GREAT place for a hand. I love it here.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Blue92 is on a distinguished road
Default More details

Basically, it turns over once and then dies. After that it just cranks and doesn't turn over. It can still be started using starter fluid, but that's getting harder and harder. Once it's started and warmed up for a while it seems to run okay.
This came on gradually starting a few months ago. At first it happened only on a cold start, when the weather was wet and the car had been sitting for a couple of days. Even then, the car would finally start after several, maybe 10, attempts. Once started, it ran fine the rest of the day, and could be turned off and started again with no problem. Gradually got worse, only starting when the weather was really dry. (It's parked outside - no carport.) Now it won't start without the starter fluid. And if I shut it off, I can start it again immediately, but wait a few minutes and no dice.

The second mechanic said the fuel pressure was low. He said they hooked it up to a computer, but no other specifics.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

This is where a 50 dollar fuel pressure guage is going to be your friend. Hook it up and carefully close the hood (to the first catch not all the way) on the hose so you can watch the pressure while you are using the truck... If its dropping off after a couple minutes I would suspect an internal leak like OhSo many of us have had latley. Its easy to inspect the leak yourself by pulling that little VORTEC cover off and removing the round black baffle and looking into the hole with a flashlight... puddles = a leak... The hard start may be cause its got the ever living shishkabob flooded out of it. Mine was leaking so bad it wouldnt start at all and the exhaust gases coming out the tailpipe were flammable with a lighterand my oil reeked of gasoline and was a couple litres overfull.

You will need a Torx27 screwdriver bit to check this method, and a 10MM to remove the upper plenum if you go that far. Its a fairly easy fix to do yourself, and what you save on paying mechanics you can buy some new tools with and some beer to drink while you do it. All the info you need is in these forums, so dont be afraid to tackle this one yourself. We will help you out.