1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

great start to the new year, NEED HELP ASAP !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
I think he was saying you could do that so the city doesn't tow it since you asked for a way of avoiding that scenario...

Have you tested to make sure you actually have spark before just throwing a new set of plug wires on?

On an other thread he made he had leaky wires by the cap
https://blazerforum.com/forum/1st-ge...lp-asap-66369/

Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Sooo, answer to that one is "yes" then, got it.

Could be timing. If the advance isn't working properly, or if the timing jumped it could cause these issues. I know Autozone will rent a timing light so you could check that out.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, a blown head gasket could cause this type of misfiring and whatnot, right? Couldn't hurt to give that a look too if the timing checks out?

Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
stlunatics2oo3 is on a distinguished road

check for spark first your just jumping the gun way to much. u dont need a timing light to check for spark.. sounds like either 1. no spark or 2. no fuel..

Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I check and see if I have spark ? also same for the fuel how do I know if I am getting fuel ?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

If you have back firing into the intake, you have spark... its a matter of whether your spark is in time.

However, to check it, you can pull a spark plug and rest it on the valve cover while plugged into the plug wire. Then crank the engine over. If the plug fires, you have spark. Just make sure the plug itself touches the cover.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

or just pull the plug wire off the coil pack,then lay it back on it,but dont push it down. have wife or some turn the engine over and see if you see spark arching to the wire.

If you have spark,move on to the next thing. take off the air filter housing or whatever you have on the throttle body. have her turn the key and see if you have fuel coming into the throttle body out the 2 injectors. If you have a good cone mist,then its not fuel related unless its a weak pump. It could also be your egr is stuck open. Behind the throttle body ("carb") you will see a black round thing mounted sideways with a vacuum line running off of it. stick your finger under it to where you feel the spongy diaphragm. push it in and out and see if it moves. try starting it then. you might have a piece of carbon holding it open.

get back to us on it..

p.s. if the thing cranks,even if it spits and sputters,keep the revs high and drive it in 1st gear at 25 mph till you get it home. or to your work.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Starting Member

is there any way I can jump the vehicle or will it not matter if it is jumped I just need a way to get it home just curious

Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

jump the vehicle? It doesnt have a dead battery. read my post i was making before you posted.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by chris015
or just pull the plug wire off the coil pack,then lay it back on it,but dont push it down. have wife or some turn the engine over and see if you see spark arching to the wire.

If you have spark,move on to the next thing. take off the air filter housing or whatever you have on the throttle body. have her turn the key and see if you have fuel coming into the throttle body out the 2 injectors. If you have a good cone mist,then its not fuel related unless its a weak pump. It could also be your egr is stuck open. Behind the throttle body ("carb") you will see a black round thing mounted sideways with a vacuum line running off of it. stick your finger under it to where you feel the spongy diaphragm. push it in and out and see if it moves. try starting it then. you might have a piece of carbon holding it open.

get back to us on it..

p.s. if the thing cranks,even if it spits and sputters,keep the revs high and drive it in 1st gear at 25 mph till you get it home. or to your work.
Thanks chris I will definitely try that probably tomorrow though when I can get out there again

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran

see the part inside the egr? push against it with your finger in and out,it might help dislodge any parts. if it wont go in,force it.

figured this pic might help.

Quick Reply: great start to the new year, NEED HELP ASAP !!!!!!!