1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

I'm so stupid!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road

I really need help here.. I went today and replaced the entire spider assembly and its still doing the same thing. I don't know what to do from here, so far I replaced, fuel pump, nut kit, and fuel injection(all new parts too) the fuel pump is the only thing that made a difference, and that is only made it to where it starts right up after a long sit.

I ruled out the exhaust being clogged, new wires , and plugs (AC-Delco) its just running really weak, the motor sounds great, but when driving it just wont get up and go, unless I floor it and then it seems to not have a problem.. it was fine until I I started having fuel issues, and I did have to beat the hell out of the old nut kit getting it out (Striped torx nut holding the U plate on the back) but I don't see anything back there that I could have damaged. I did repair some pretty bad vacuum leaks also.

I don't think its a vacuum leak because it doesn't have a high idle at all, and again, it was fine before the fuel leak. I also checked all the codes and it was just my oxygen sensor due to me having it unplugged, so I hooked it back up and it made no difference what so ever.... I also fixed the striped bolts on the plenum too, so its on good and tight now.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

..... Just curious here..... did u change the fuel FILTER? (hope this vehicle has one since i know pretty much f all about 1st gen's)

also is ur tranny topped up with fluid? have you ever changed it? has it been changed in the last 70,000 miles?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:25 PM

yep and yep, I did the filter about 3 weeks ago, and I dropped my transmission pan and changed the filter and fluid, I'm sure its not a transmission problem. Thanks though. keep em comming

Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

well now the question falls down to - what's your fuel pressure levels then. just cuz u've replaced almost everything else doesn't mean there's not some sort of clog somewhere else in the lines lol. got a fuel pressure gauge to test with?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 PM

I just started working nights at an Exxon that has a shop attached to it, I had them put my fuel pump in, so I'm sure I could borrow one from them if I had to. I'm just so sure that I fixed all fuel issues, I need to replace my cap and rotor too. Although I don't see why they would just go bad over night coincidentally after fixing my fuel leak.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Recon
I really need help here.. I went today and replaced the entire spider assembly and its still doing the same thing. I don't know what to do from here, so far I replaced, fuel pump, nut kit, and fuel injection(all new parts too) the fuel pump is the only thing that made a difference, and that is only made it to where it starts right up after a long sit.....
Be wary of striping out too many parts or you will be compounding issues as you go and might want to take it to a more gentle and skilled tech. Have you replaced the fuel filter? You asked about being able to break the tires free by brake standing?? As long as you are HARD on the gas, you shouldn't need to lock the brake unless you are doing it to engage the TC? Anyway, if you can't light up the tires I would say you have a performance issue. You might look at cleaning your idle control valve and replacing your fuel filter. First things first though, what is the fuel pressure at the test port? Does it hold with the key off?

Good luck.

This could easily be a stopped up cat also....

A.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Beginning Member

I just started working nights at an Exxon that has a shop attached to it, I had them put my fuel pump in, so I'm sure I could borrow one from them if I had to. I'm just so sure that I fixed all fuel issues, I need to replace my cap and rotor too. Although I don't see why they would just go bad over night coincidentally after fixing my fuel leak.

A fuel pressure tester gauge/kit can be had for $25 which is a helluva lot cheaper than replacing fuel pumps, ignition components, etc. and hoping you find the right component to replace. You really should take some of the conventional wisdom here and troubleshoot this first before throwing your wallet on the table. Many times the pulsator leading to the fuel pump cracks which will mimic a failing pump. This can be fixed with a few clamps and a piece of fuel hose. If you replaced the fuel pump, you really should replace the filter. That's always money well spent. It doesn't sound like you have an ignition problem as much as a fuel pressure/delivery or vac problem.

Good luck and let us know please.

A.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 PM

I posted earlier that I did change fuel filter a couple weeks back.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member

I posted earlier that I did change fuel filter a couple weeks back.
Is there any chance it might have been installed backwards?? Sorry about missing that post. I even looked first to see if you mentioned it but alas, I failed hard. We still don't know pressure at the rail right? Or if it holds with the key off?

Good luck.

A.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Fuel Pump Tester $19.00 Works good, I bought one like this.

Quick Reply: I'm so stupid!!!!!