1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

I'm so stupid!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road

Alright, so I never did get around to the pressure gauge but I was thinking about it today and I remember somebody on this forum a while back kept having similar problems and it turned out to be the alternator, about 3 months ago the new alternator that was on it when I purchased it started slipping at idle, it would squeal loudly when going really slow and would hush up when I gave it gas. so I was actually taking it off to replace it and after removing the belt I noticed that the pulley came loose so using my neighbors impact gun I tightened it back up, stuck the belt on, and then about a week later started making the same sound, but stopped on its own a few days later. So I never did think about it again until today.. is it at least a possibility?

I kept the one off of my 92 s10 pickup so I'm going to stick it on in the morning just to rule it out. I will also recheck the arrows on the fuel filter just to make sure.

Last edited by Recon; 01-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Try checking ( by wiggling them ) the wires that go to the spider injector . Its very common for them to fail . It took a very long time for me to find this problem with mine , but I eventully did .

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM

I already tried that, it made no difference wiggling them with it running.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

I am dazzled and stumped as to why with so many damn recommendations to test fuel pressure you refuse to do so?? Maybe you can borrow one, loan a tool or have a mech do it for a six pack...

Good luck and I hope you get it solved quickly. If you were closer I would test it for you.

A.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM

You don't under stand I have COMPLETELY REBUILT MY FUEL SYSTEM!! From fuel pump to spider and everything in between. I won't have time to really mess with it until Friday.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Test the god damned fuel pressure already... Jeez. Just cause you put new stuff on it doesnt mean you didnt install a faulty part or do it wrong, or put the wrong spider leg in the wrong hole, or not tighted something enough, or forget a part... I think we are getting sick of suggesting the same thing to you over and over... Or go buy a new EGR and all the sensors, one of them has to be the problem... Maybe your starters magnetic field is interfering with the flux capacitors, so you better grab one of each of them too

... Or maybe you should go try doing whats been suggested to you. You can prove your thread title to us when you report back pressures that show a leak and how much time and money you wasted throwing parts at it...

Seriously, just ask a neighbor, try and choose one that drives a hot rod or tuner car or dicks around in the garage alot in summer:

"Hey man, I live _____ from you, I notice you tinkering in the garage alot, you wouldnt happen to have a fuel pressure tester I could use?"
"Oh sure man, every shade tree mechanic has one nowadays, you drive that blazer 4.3, those things are notorious for leaking injector units in the 1st generations"

Its that simple. Send them a Christmas card for it, have your wife bake them a casserole, get him a 6pack. Its a 2 min job, and most people are happy to help a neighbor who asks. I cant beleive I typed this long reply when your negligence to follow instruction is irritating me. You are an artist or teacher for a living arent you???

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 PM

So today I changed out the alternator and this one is a lot more quieter, and easier to turn. one that was on it would stop immediately when you let go of it, if you tried to spin it with your hand. Then I decided to go ahead ahead and bought a new distributor cap and rotor for it. It looked pretty bad. I checked the fuel filter, the arrow on it pointing towards the engine.. I'm not a brain surgeon but I'm pretty sure that's right. Nothing I did today totally fixed it I could just tell it did also need those parts.

I checked for vacuum leaks around the plenum with a can of starting fluid. (Could I trouble shoot for vacuum leaks by blocking off the rear nipple on the back of plenum??)

At work tonight I will try to use the one at the shop, if not, then I will buy one tomorrow!! I do have a confession to make though, last week when I had the guy stick my fuel pump in they didn't have a Delphi or ACDelco pump in stock and the guy who fixed it said that it would be a while before he could do it if I waited, so I went ahead and got a Bosch Brand it was like $110.00 for it and a new strainer. So if the fuel pressure is really the issue then I guess I can blame a cheap pump? life time warranty at least.

Will post results in the morning.

Last edited by Recon; 01-19-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

No you cant plug that off, how would you get vacuum in the lines if you plug that off? You troubleshoot vacuum leaks with your EARS man, or a propane torch not lit.

Please do us a favor and dont reply with any more 'what ifs' until you check the fuel pressure and leakdown.

You want:
Pressure with key on engine off
Pressure while starting and running
Pressure leakdown when you turn it off

WE WANT ALL 3 NUMBERS, not two, not a what if, but all 3 of those specs and nothing else.