1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

lower intake...truck lost power...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member
redneck93 is on a distinguished road
Default lower intake...truck lost power...

ok so my truck lost its power like 2 months ago, i did the map sensor checked the egr did the tps and the mass air flow sensor n it still has no power at all. it bogs wen i step on the gas, i have to ease in2 it. so the other day im lookin around the engine n i see that the lower intake gasket is leakin. could this be my problem cuz i know its messin with the vacuum. its gettin done either way but will it fix my problem....?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I doubt it. That leak would make white smoke or a puddle on the ground or both, and you risk overheating.

Have a look at the injector harness for clean spots when you take it apart and do a forum search for CPI Injector to read a little into it and see pics of what it should look like, and what it might look like. That is a common problem we have, and will definatley give you runability issues.

Getting any trouble codes on the engine light?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member

i know what it shld look like inside there, iv had these apart probly 15 times, the leak aint that bad so i wont get a puddle and i wont over heat i just wasnt sure if it wld affect power or not bcuz of the vacuum. i will look everything over really good wen i get the upper off but the spider should be fine i just put it in a little over a year ago n replaced the main fuel lines that come in the bak of the plenum. any other ideas why i lost power?.... i kno i need a o2 sensor also im sure that has sumthing to do with it. and i have the knock sensor unhooked bcuz my dad said it would retard the timing n it can make it run like **** i wana try hookin it bak up n see if it does anything but the truck was acting up b4 i unhooked it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Test your EGR with a multimeter when you have it off too, and push the pluger and see if its sticking in making it stay open. You can find out how to test the egr with the forum search, theres lots of topics on it. Check for crap built up in it.

What about those engine codes? Got a paperclip, do that method to see what the ECM is saying to you.

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-18-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Beginning Member

i trust my dad for the most part cuz he was an ase master tech for chevy for 25 years. n yes im throwin codes but im not sure witch 1s cuz i havnt had it hooked up yet, its not the stock engine in this truck either, its like the 3rd 1 that been in it, this 1 i put in myself so i know it was done rite n the ses light has been on since i bought the damn thing. it ran beautiful untill about 2 months ago and wen it was in my old truck it ran better than any blazer iv ever seen. i want it to run like it use to.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

i will check the egr but that should be good too it was done wen i did the spider about a yr ago and i cleaned it out like 6 months ago just for the hell of it n it wasnt bad at all. ill have to look up how to do the paper clip method cuz im not exactly sure how it works.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Beginning Member
pyro_dude is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by redneck93
i trust my dad for the most part cuz he was an ase master tech for chevy for 25 years. n yes im throwin codes but im not sure witch 1s cuz i havnt had it hooked up yet, its not the stock engine in this truck either, its like the 3rd 1 that been in it, this 1 i put in myself so i know it was done rite n the ses light has been on since i bought the damn thing. it ran beautiful untill about 2 months ago and wen it was in my old truck it ran better than any blazer iv ever seen. i want it to run like it use to.
I checked Alldata recently for EGR and Code 34 is a "sticking egr" and that is actually a RECALL on these trucks. It must be a pretty common problem among the 1st gen S10's with the linear EGR valve.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

You need to not spell in ebonics redneck! "the leak aint that bad" any leak is bad and will cause power loss, so while your EGR is sticking, when you replace it your truck will probably still have power loss. And replacing the spider a year ago means nothing, they are pieces of crap and fail all the time. And seeing as you have had the plenum off 15times I wonder if you torqued it down correctly every time or winged it and hand tightened it? I would hope your dad made you torque it down with his 25years of experience.
Also, if you read what ohsofly posted you would have used the paper clip trick or even used a wire to read the code, extreamly easy, just search. after the enitial code 12 it will blink a few times, that is the first number, then a pause, then blink so many times and that will be the second number in the code. The codes repeat themselves 3 times.

Last edited by bertrenolds; 01-21-2011 at 12:46 PM.