1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Default LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.

Hi there. Time for the running thread.

The solution for this is that I melted the coolant temp sensor (that screws into the passenger side of the block) clean in half . Must find what socket fits that fitting. Original post is:

Ok, weird one here.. I accidentally didn't tighten the lower hose, and smoke came pouring out of the engine, and it stalled. I looked and expected much pressure. Turns out.. there WAS no pressure, because there was no coolant! It all came out while driving, and that explains why the heat WAS blowing cold.. the lower hose was loose, and yes, came off while driving.

I reconnected it back, added in a little bit of water, it started right back up. Previous to this, the temp gauge was pegged upwards, and blinking at me. It has not registered ANY temperature since this incident.

Believe it or not, the engine now runs BETTER after this. And I am still flushing it. Getting it really, really, really clean..

What happened? Time for new T-stat? Why no more temperature reading? Thank you!

Again, engine is fine, one tough SOB. Turned right back over, had turned weakly when it was hothothot, let it cool down 5-10 minutes, threw a little water in there.. happy engine. Stopped again when I got where I was going, had some hot/warmish (ok, warm) water get me in the face from lower hose.. Fastened back on, added more than two gallons, it is still a little thirsty. Expansion tank coolant literally looks like urine. So, what happened, why no temperature gauge? heat is HOT now, I am still flushing to get the heater core as good as can be, and no temp indicated. Still has that service engine soon light, but runs fine. Wha? Thanks.
Now, next up. I am considering getting an unbranded, no-name battery from NAPA. This Walmart one really is a POS. Been charging it, discharging it, put Epsom salt in the cells.. for $64.99, I can get this, down the street, un-fooled around with. And should I put that battery on the CTEK3300 for a few days, uninterrupted? That can't hurt it and it won't overcharge, right? NAPA AUTO PARTS

Also, a wire came off my alternator, so I will fix that up today.

Aside from that.. Might see about changing these spark plugs that I can get to, maybe the wires too, to see what kind of a difference that makes. I also need another starter on there.

Thoughts/ideas/opinions? Thanks!

Pics coming up in next post...

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2013, 11:52 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Easy flush, grab a small jug of CLR from the hardware store, pour it in the radiator, fill it water. Run for 30 min, pop off lower rad hose and let it pour out on the street (its just water and CLR) and rinse with hose water by undoing the rubber hoses and spraying it in there till it runs out clear. Button it all up and fill with coolant. This is an awesome way to flush out all the garbage.

Coolant sensor on the head is about $15 at the parts store, and removes with I think a 7/8 socket or a large spark plug socket. What did you melt in half? The wire? Just solder it back together if this is the case.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Thumbs up This newb needs help.. Please, grab a soda, and go through this with me. Thanks!

Photo dump

1. My (present) (bad) ground.

2. The first connector I found, for a 5.7L; decided NOT to go with this one.

3. I grounded my alternator? How did I do?

4. My "main" Alternator back post. I left off a connection; more on that , in a later photo. See photo #8. Also, I have a question!

5. I could shorten up this wire, if I wanted to. *Important note: This wire APPEARS to function the same, when connected to the MAIN post, in the previous picture. Please, discuss.. FIRST alternator wiring EVER by me.

6. This wire works, but I COULD shorten it. I can't get the ring eyelet off the lower post.

7. Elaboration, on how I could shorten that wire. (The mechanic hooked it to that post, towards the passenger side of the blazer. There are three posts.)

8. I, accidentally, left off this connection, and I am not sure which one it is. How does this affect the system? What will it impact, and how? *btw: I drove with this, and the alternator SEEMED to indicate charging.. 14.7V when it was running, at the battery.

9. A better pic of what I have hooked to that main post.

10. My Coolant Temp Sensor connector. The melted part, which I am seeking a replacement, has since fallen out. I think I want this one: ACDelco OE Service 213 77 Coolant Temperature Sensor | eBay

11. This hose came loose, and I have no idea what it is to. ?

12. My hood. Soon to have a 76mm cone air filter, and other changes..

Please, hep a newb out.. Discuss.

Attached Thumbnails LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090044_zps360a2697.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-connector_zpsa549dc07.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090059_zps3e6c61fe.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090108_zpsef6f3f3e.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090113_zpsf4c83278.jpg  

LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090124_zps89e5b8d8.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090149_zpsfb89d691.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090213_zps7f0f9211.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090225_zps821392c8.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090249_zps325ceca7.jpg  

LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090256_zpsa98a0d51.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_090301_zpsb32b7137.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

the hose that dropped down appears to be your radiator over flow hose. it more than likely came off the over flow bottle. either that or its the hose from the radiator to the bottle. easy fix as long as its long enough.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twip
the hose that dropped down appears to be your radiator over flow hose. it more than likely came off the over flow bottle. either that or its the hose from the radiator to the bottle. easy fix as long as its long enough.
Thanks, but it isn't the reservoir hose. I just looked to see the source, and it appears to come from somewhere up and under the passenger side of the vehicle.

Here are three pics to see its origin (And it was originally hanging on the passenger side, I just moved it so it wasnt dragging on the ground)

Attached Thumbnails LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_101703_zpsb6dc0f96.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_101719_zpsa0febe7b.jpg   LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.-img_20130411_101744_zpse329ae3a.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Holy crap, Did you wrap a ground wire around the alt?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Does the hose hanging have vacuum when the truck is running and you try to switch to 4x4? It could be the vacuum line from the front diff solenoid that sits under the battery tray. It's pretty easy to accidentally pull it off if you're working in that area.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
Holy crap, Did you wrap a ground wire around the alt?
Yes. Should I take that off? Or is that OK there?

I still need to figure out what the connector I left off there does.

Does the hose hanging have vacuum when the truck is running and you try to switch to 4x4? It could be the vacuum line from the front diff solenoid that sits under the battery tray. It's pretty easy to accidentally pull it off if you're working in that area.
I will have to check that out!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM

Ok.

1. Spark plug fell apart when I took it out.

2. Got the new upper hose today. Checking out new air filter, too (ready to install, I got 76mm)

3. I took the Coolant Temp Sensor (what was left of it) out. 21mm socket.

Now, why was running the ground wire from alternator frame to ground a bad idea?

Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is not the best idea to ground it there, I mean, the case is the ground. but just not a good way to do it.
I thought I had a photo of where I grounded mine, its a bracket that attaches to the back of the alt at the bottom. I believe the drivers side of the alt. I used a ring terminal.. you know, let me run out and grab a photo of it quick.

Quick Reply: LT's running thread, of stuff and issues.